Lexicon MX200 working in windows 2000

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I just got a MX200 over the weekend. I knew that XP was required for the mix software/ pluginability part, but wasen't really concerned. Having to turn real dials dosen't bother me. SO after getting it setup and playing around with it I figured I'd try and see what happens if I load the drivers in win 2000.

Insert the disk, the installer starts. I get a message telling me that the device needs to be connected to USB. I make the connection. A new hardware found wizard pops up for a second, then BLUE SCREEN! With the MX200 still connected via USB, I restart. After the log in screen, instead of going to my desktop I get ANOTHER BLUE SCREEN! So I unplug the USB and resart again. Most sane people would stop right here, but I like blowing up a computers brain. I plugged the MX200 into a different USB port at this point, briefly, nothing happened. I run the installer off of the disk again at this point, with the MX200 not connected to the USB port. It finishes. I plug the MX200 into the USB port. A new hardware found wizard pops up. I have to point it to the CD in the CD drive for the file it needs. It installs no problems. I run the program from my desktop and it works!

The one quirk that I've noticed (and this may be normal behavior) is that I have to open up the editor software before I open up my DAW Program. Otherwise I get error messages and it dosen't work.

A brief review-

I like it. I'm not in anyway blown away though. I wanted the Rumor, but that was out of my budget, and I got this thing for $165. It's tons better than the plugin's I'm using (stock sony vegas plugs and freebies) sounds more "real" but not more "natural". More like a real fake reverb and less like a fake real reverb. :D controlling the hardware via software is really cool. I'm still just playing with it at this stage, so I'm not sure if I'll like it or not like it in the long run. I got this also as a cheap way of getting 2 more inputs via spdif into my 828 MKII, so I feel like I'm really maximizing my bang for my buck here! I haven't done any real tests with the converters, not sure how they'll compare to the MOTU. I'll report back.

The one quirk that I've noticed (and this may be normal behavior) is that I have to open up the editor software before I open up my DAW Program. Otherwise I get error messages and it dosen't work.

Thats not a quirk. you need to disable the lexicon midi port in the DAW software (so it not available). It does not have a multi driver meaning that only one applicatin can use it at once and all DAW software will try to open it and make it available, so you need to disable it (in cubase its called "availabilty")

Back