Lexicon MPX-1

loudnaybor

I've been looking at multi-effects processors and DAMN, I thought picking out new mics was tough !!! I really don't want to go over a thousand bucks so...
I've test driven several and I think I like the Lexicon MPX-1. I know a bunch of people out there have used them so please, give me the skinny on 'em. Or, let me know if there are any others in that price range that I should check out. Thanx.

You can't get much better than Lexicon. For under $1000, the MPX-1 will smoke the competition.
I hope someone can prove me otherwise; I would be interested to see what gear other people feel is comparable.

That's kinda what I figured. I looked at the MPX-100 too, but the the MPX-1 has the separate reverb chip, seems to make a big difference. Of course it costs more than twice as much, so I would hope the difference would be audible.

The MPX-1 is amazing, i've worked with some profesional engineers who use them. I'm looking at buying a new FX processor i will either get the MPX1, MPX100 ot the Q20.
What is the big differance betwine the mpx100 and mpx1, i havn'e used the mpx 100 btu for half the price it looks very similar, also how do they compare to the Q20?
Wright back if you can help.

HAWLK

From what I can tell in looking at the MPX-1 and MPX-100, the biggest difference is that MPX-1 has a separate chip to handle just reverb. So, that's one chip for reverb and one chip to handle the other effects. The advantage is that you get your best reverb at all times, since the chip doesn't have to devote any time to processing other algorithms.

The 100 is not really worth getting because you get very limited parameter controls with it. the MPX 1 offers a very nice selection of parameter controls. Also, as I recall, the MPX one has more reverb algorithems in it's chip, so you can call up more variety of reverbs.

The Alesis Q20, if it is really an improvement over the Q2 would also be an excellent purchase. Although I definately prefer Lexicon reverbs any day of the week over Alesis, the Q2 or 20 is an excellent multi effercts processor for the money. The delays are some of the cleanest I have ever heard. The auto panner is pretty killer. All the other effects sound professional. If I had to choose between a MPX 1 and the Q20, I would definately go with the Lexicon. They just seem to have better sounding units than just about anything else on the market.

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Thanks for the input guys. Looks I'll be getting me an MPX-1 after christmas, unless Santa is REALLY nice this year.
I've also started checking out EQs. I've found out that I'm kind of picky about the feel of the sliders. The ones that the local stores carry seem to be pretty cheesy. So I'm thinking about the BSS dual channel. But, if anyone knows of any that have decent quality, dampened sliders, without a lot of phasing oddities between freqs., any info would be appreciated.

What are you planning to do with the EQ?

If you are using it to EQ your monitors, then you will need to get a dual 31 band EQ.

If it is going to be used to shape sounds, then I suggest getting a parametric EQ. Ashley makes a great seven band parametric in the $300 range. If you want something a little less expensive, Behringer has a five band parametric EQ for around $200. Often I have not had to use too many bands to get the sound that I was after.

I'm looking to EQ my monitors and to give me a little more flexiblity over what's on my board to use at mixdown.
The BSS that I was looking at is a dual 30 band, Model FCS-966. DBX has a model 2231 that's a dual 31 band. Both are pretty pricey for a glorified tone control.
I'll probably end up with a parametric eventually also, but that'll be another trip to town.

One bit of advice before you EQ your control room. Try and work out as many frequency imbalances in your room first. I am sure Ed will tell us more about that. :-) I know that many people are unable to spend the money it takes to get their rooms acoustically balanced, but every bit helps to get a better recording environment. When you have done all that you can, use the EQ for fine tuning.

TC Electronic have a couple of new boxes coming out. The M1 (which should already be shipping in the states) and the D2. The M1 is a dual engine effects processor that's primarily a reverb which the guys at TC say is slightly better than the verb in their M2000 box for a lower price.
I think the list is about $699 but the should sell on the street for a couple hundred lower.
You might want to check this unit out before splurging on the Lexicon. It might do the job for a little less money.

Good luck.

I love the Alesis Q2... i got mine used in mint condition on ebay for $300.... that leaves you $700 for something like a Roland Reverb Unit... just lettin ya know.

Thanks for all the input guys !
I've haven't been at this site since Christmas. I've actually been recording, instead of just talking about it. I decided it was time to take all the tips I've gotten here and put them to work.
But anyway... I did end up buying the MPX-1. It was my Christmas present to myself. I've been very happy with it since I've had some time to do some exploring. I don't really like most of the presets on it, but it's very easy to adjust the parameters to get the sound you want. I'm sure it's not as clean as the more expensive units, but I think it sounds pretty damn good.
Thanks for the advice, I think it was a good purchase.

Back