lexicon core opinion

Gag

Hey folks .I was looking thru the threads and didn't see much in regards to the lex core 2 and daughter board. So , I want to step up my card. What do you think about this unit ? Im digging the fact that the effects are lexicon and they shouldn't hog or bog down my system.... thanks Gag

are you thinking about buying one or do you have one already? if you're thinking about one don't. if you have one already than be prepared to be friggin agro like the rest of us suckers who have one. the card itself is ok but the drivers are a real pain most of the time, and lexicon no longer updates them so the newest version is for win 98se.

thanks Mikey, I do have windows 98Se but I don't have the lexi unit . I don't plan on upgrading my computer so I thought the lexi card plus the daughter board would save the hassle of a new puter which I can't afford but I thought this lexi daughter board could do the trick with the onboard effects taking the load off my puter. I also probably won't need to go any further once I do this or whatever the next upgrade will be as I'm close to what I want just a couple more effects without any hassles and I'm done. thanks .. ..Gag

Gag,
Let me kow what you think of the Core 2. I've been thinking about getting one myself. I am looking for better drum sounds than I get from SB Live.

sib

if you feel like you need a core 2 then by all means get one, but if knew then what i do now i would have spent a little more on a better card. the biggest hassle with the core 2 is the crappy drivers, and with the core 2 discontinued i'm not expecting any updates. the daughter board is a cool idea, but take it from someone who has worked/fought with one for over a year, just look around at your other choices before spending the money on a core 2.

Thanks again Mikey I'll definitely keep it in mind. Maybe the yamaha DSP is another consideration I may try. Anyways I,m in no hurry. By the way what specific driver problems did you encounter?...Gag

At the price you can get a C-2 today...you can't beat it. The only problem...as mentioned above...no driver support. As for the daughter board; you can take or leave it...go outboard for effects...or go inside (software) for effects. I got my C-2 setting in a PIII machine, up in my attic...I'm trying to figure out what to do with it...maybe I'll throw some hard drives in it and use it as an audio server...who knows. It was a good card to me...damn it was expensive when I bought it!

well, when you upgrade/add any recording software you have to completely uninstall then reinstall the drivers. sounds easy enough, but less than a week ago i spent three hours on just that one thing. the drivers don't always WANT to uninstall. and sometimes the installing/reinstalling process doesn't run right, and you can't tell until you open your software and try to select the core 2...then your machine hard locks...and doesn't want to reboot in anything but safe mode...argh!!
i could go on for awhile, but i think i'll stop there. i have a friend a few blocks away that has one and he has the exact same problems with his, so i'm reasonably sure that its not just me or my machine.

Core 2

Naysayers!

I have a Core 2 and love it. I don't care about updates or drivers for XP. Nor would I buy the daughterboard for effects. My God, the plugins, these days, will get you where you want to go. I wouldn't upgrade to XP either, even if you paid me. I always wait a few years for ALL the bugs to be worked out b4 upgrading to the newer OS.

Geez, I don't get it? You guys spend all your money on these machines, and, from what you guys post, you couldn't make a decent recording to save your lives! I worry that some of you do this for a living.

Now I'll admit, I could have a faster DAW, but for what i do, (i.e., mulitracking using Cool Edit Pro on a PIII), it's fine.

I guarantee anything I've recorded can/does sound just as good as late '01 technology. Man, it ain't about buying all the latest and greatest. It's about creating a great sound. I can play a great song and it sound great on a $160 Danelectro, just as well as on a Les Paul Standard. I also can record it so that you can't tell what guitar it was anyways.

Capture the soul of your performance before anything else!! The Core 2 will do it just fine, as well as many other combos of hardware/software.

1st of all, i never said anything about the quality of the recording with a core 2. i simply stated the FACT that the drivers for it suck. i do good recordings with it all the time
2nd, i wanna hear this $160 danelectro that sounds as good as a les paul standard

geez

I said a great song can sound just as good being played on a Danelectro as a Les Paul. It's the performance of the song that is key. Man, toss some of that conventional wisdom out the window. For instance, the rule that a $2000 guitar will sell your song better than a $150 one. No way!! I've sold songs on merely a written verse before! What's sad is, some of you are spending thousands of dollars, posting your crappy output on here, and inbreeding amongst yourselves with your gadgetry.

Uhm, and in regards to the dana/les paul issue, with mic and amp modelers today, I would beg to differ you could tell the difference via a double blind test. You know that this is true, but the $5000 you spent on your last shopping spree won't let you comprehend it.

Yo dogman your right about just doing it but I can't do it good enuff for me with only 4 or 5 tracks because of my cpu being over taxed with the usage of only a couple of plug-ins and I don't blow a wad on gear and only need a little stability and I will be a happy camper hence I thought about the daughter board. I'm currently getting by but to slowly because of my cpu. Now about this dan-electro shite. If it don't stay in tune no freakin modeler can help with cheap ass shit like that... Anyways to cap it all off I only need a small cheap upgrade just to speedup things a bit and I'd like to hear some of your tunes there audio dog. THanks for the input....Gag

once again, my $.02...

i think audiodog needs to check his attitude and ego at the freakin door. if we on this particular thread were the type to go spend $5000 on an equipment shopping spree would we really be having a discussion on a 3-4 year old, discontinued sound card? i wish i could spend $500...hell even $50 on a shopping spree. and by the way, if you're SO unhappy with the people on this board, maybe you shouldn't upset youself by reading it.

I bought the Core-2 a couple of years ago and I have had nothing but problems with it. I wouldn't recommend this card even to my worst enemy. As soon as I get enough money I'll get rid of this card.

Of course this is just my experience. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Good luck if your're getting one.

/fim

hey fimpen,
what kind of problems have you had? driver related? what software are you using to record with? i've had enough problems, and worked through them to maybe help you a little.

For the price (and I bought mine when they were still on the upper slope of the price structure) it is and remains a good card...As far as computers go...You'll fine a lot folks still using PIII's to record their stuff...and that works too! But it would hard to be critical of someone who wanted to upgrade from a PIII to a P4, or for that matter an AMD setup when prices are so darn low now-a-days. I do not record music, but I do make money on my DAW doing V/O's, narration and the such...for me technology and new toys are important...I'm trying to make a living. My thought with "keeping up with the Jones"; hey as long as it doesn't hurt anyone...a guy/gal has got to have a hobby! Television sucks! And who knows, if the desire is that strong...it may turn into something. As for Core-2 drivers, if you continue to use them, then you'll be regulated to older O/S's. Heck that same could happen to me down road with my Delta 1010, but I kinda doubt it. Lexicon had something, but they didn't have a plan to stay in the game with it, and that's too bad!

what kind of problems have you had? driver related? what software are you using to record with? i've had enough problems, and worked through them to maybe help you a little.

Every problem you can think of. ;)

I think they're mostly driver related. Clicks and pops both when I'm recording and playing. I can't record more than 2 tracks at a time. Even when I record ONE track i get clicks. I can't record even ONE useable (spelling?) track!

My equipment:

Abit BH6 Motherboard
Intel PIII 650Mhz
256MB RAM 133MHz
NVidia Graphics card 32 MB
9.1 GB SCSI-2 HDD for Audio
Diamond Multimedia Fireport PCI SCSI-card
40 GB HDD for software
MIDISPORT 2x2 USB MidiIF
Lexicon Core-2

Windows 98. Optimized for DAW use.
Cubase VST/32 R6
Wavelab
Halion
Lots of plugs

A friend of mine who is really good with computers has promised to take a look at my system on monday. If he can't solve it I'll be happy to get help from you. It feels like I've done everything already.

/fim

lavoz.
i totally agree with everything you said. as i stated before it a good card as far as audio quality. my only real complaint is and will be the buggy drivers. and because of those not only can you not upgrade your os, but some newer software like nuendo won't run with it(my friend who has one tried a couple of days ago). if lexicon had continued to support this card, i wouldn't have any complaints, just a wish or two and everyone has a few of those.

btw, heard that AMD doesn't get along with the core 2 either

fim,
i ran into the clicks and pops myself cubase. i'm not in front of my recording machine right now(i'm at work), but off the top of my head...
1. make sure that you have the most current drivers

http://www.lexicon.com/downloads/core2_downloads.asp

2. if you need to upgrade your drivers, completely uninstall the original drivers(including the lexpanel thingy) first. then reinstall the new drivers.

are the clicks and pops happening at the start/end of a new take or are they throughout the take(mine were usually at the start/end)?

start here, and then we can try and narrow it down a little more.

btw, i mostly use cakewalk, because i don't get any clicks and pops for the core 2 with it

1. Yes I have the new drivers.

2. Yes I installed (and reinstalled) the drivers correctly, according to the "Lexicon Knowledge Base" (Also tried the rest of the troubleshooting tips on the Knowledge Base)

3. The clicks are throughout the take. I have clicks on playback also. If I try to play "clean" wavefiles I still get clicks.

4. I haven't tried cakewalk, and I don't want to. I want it to work with Cubase!!!

Thank you a million for your help!

/fim

Back