Levels very HOT.

clinton

I'm either mad or both
Hi All

I am trying to record my acoustic guitar but I need a bit of advice on something.

I have a SP B1 Condensor and an SE A1 Condensor that I am using to record the guitar. Both mics go into a Presonus Blue Tube DP preamp and then into the 2 channels of my M-Audio Mobile Pre (cables all XLR). The problem is that when I set the signal into the preamp to the correct value on the VU Meter it makes the signal going into my Mobile Pre so HOT that its difficult get a level that doesn't clip.

Even when the level into sonar is under the red, the recorded guitar always sounds on the edge of clipping. I cant seem to get a nice smooth strumming and picking sound...it always sounds HARSH.

I would appreciate any advice on this

Thanks guys

What output from the preamp are you using? Usually there are two, one -10 unbalanced and a +4 balanced out If the input to your recording device wants -10 and you're using the +4, that could account for that.

you need to plug into the 1/4" inputs of the Mobile Pre...unless there is some sort of switch for the XLRs to tell the Mobile that you're sending a line level signal into it.
The XLRs on the Mobile Pre are preamps...so it's amplifying your signal even louder after it hits the Presonus.

Last edited:
bennychico11 said:
you need to plug into the 1/4" inputs of the Mobile Pre...unless there is some sort of switch for the XLRs to tell the Mobile that you're sending a line level signal into it.
The XLRs on the Mobile Pre are preamps...so it's amplifying your singal even more louder after it hits the Presonus.

Yeah. You are in effect chaining two preamps.

Brilliant that is the problem exactly. Thanks for help guys..that sounds ten times better....

Back