Levels swishing in and out during mastering??

pod4477

So i used the mastering tutorial here
http://www.har-bal.com/mastering_process.php

after doing all it says i got a good sounding master but during parts of it it will sound like a swishing or sweeping of either mids and lows or volume or soemthing. i cant figure it out. maybe im just tired and hearing things but does anyone know why this might happen??

i followed it pretty well except i got a little confused around the part where it says "Figure 12 Grab the "Master Attack" Button and slowly move upwards until there is some stability in the first two bands of the orange dynamics line."

and "Figure 13 Now grab the "Master Release" button and slowly move upwards until the first two bands are almost horizontal in movement."

i cant figure out what they mean by the first two bands. do they mean under the orange and green dots??

haha...thanks for all your help guys!

Ooo gotta love Harbals catch phrase.
"We give eyes to the ears"
Why do we even need our ears if we have Har-Bal?
I might sell mine on E-bay and buy Har-Bal with the money.

Eck

Sounds like you should be leaving what you call "mastering" to someone else.

dude, lock this thread now before you get ripped apart.

heed this warning!! the war is coming!

i feel like this is a part of The lord of the rings..

TragikRemix said:
dude, lock this thread now before you get ripped apart.

heed this warning!! the war is coming!

i feel like this is a part of The lord of the rings..

"There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men for this treachery." - Treebeard

The only part of that Hair Ball tutorial that is correct:
If you master your next project better than the last, you are only getting better. Get used to it. You will discover on a daily basis the real concept of mastering and the real reason why there are no perfect settings that can be used with every song.

The trick is to listen to a song completely and KNOW which tools to use.
The rest is pure, unadulterated bullshit.

pod, get your mixes right to begin with. If after listening to your mix you feel that you need to use something like Hair Ball to make it sound right, it's because your mix sounds wrong and isn't ready yet. Mastering is not defined as "fixing the mix".

G.

ya i got better results when i followed my own settings and stuff. Dude how would i get ripped apart. Im not gona lock this cuz i want to learn stuff. anyway how come this tutorial is bullshit?

pod4477 said:
ya i got better results when i followed my own settings and stuff. Dude how would i get ripped apart. Im not gona lock this cuz i want to learn stuff. anyway how come this tutorial is bullshit?

it's bullshit just because exactly what Har-Bal says:
You will discover on a daily basis the real concept of mastering and the real reason why there are no perfect settings that can be used with every song.

Reading a tutorial and expecting to get a perfectly mastered song because someone wrote "this is how you get a perfect song"....is just ridiculous. It'd be like trying to read a tutorial on how to paint and expecting to get a Mona Lisa. They can say "add a little brown to this area", but if you don't have the talent to paint to begin with...it's just gonna turn out crap.

How does Har-Bal know what song you're working on and what it needs? They could have written that tutorial when trying to master a song recorded by great engineers in a great recording studio with great musicians...and could have been a rock song. You could be trying to master classical music recorded in your basement. Totally different instruments, personnel and style.

Ignore trying to use Har-Bal...like Glen said, get it right in the mix. If it's not right when you listen to it, go back and try to figure out what's not right. Don't expect a magical plugin from the land of Elves to fix everything for you.

mastering means getting it ready for replication. what do you need to do to make it ready for replication?

pod4477 said:
haha ya ur right. so how do i know what to do to get a good master?
Read book upon book, article upon article about mastering.
Purchase some great mastering gear, and a perfectly treated room for mastering.
Then learn religiously for a few years, and you might start to get the hang of it.
ITs tricky, I amnt hot at it and Ive been doing it for 4 years now.

Eck

well nothing really. Im not mastering for a cd yet im just messin around. I realized that wishy washy sound was the release set to high on my ultramaximizer.

so you guys are sayin get a premaster as good as possible first then you know send it out somewhere or something?

its pretty standard around here,

there is no way to mix or master using your eyes.

mastering is really between a few songs, trying to get them to fit well within the same CD and all sortsa jazz like that.

i've never finished a mix, so i havent even attempted to master something.

ya the little bit of sorta mastering ive done was with my ears. I just like how it soudns when mastered. The guitars are more vibrant and the drums and guitars sound more together and seem to fit better.

Ford Van said:
So, if you wanted to learn how to do mastering, your advice here helps how?
The point is, if the sound is "swishing", etc....It's not ready to master yet. And if he doesn't realise that, then he's not ready to master something. Making him realise that helps in a HUGE way. This is how my statment helps exactly.

Back