Levels, levels, levels... What are the general rules?

Massive Master said:
I agree totally - But NOT "as hot as possible" -

I interpreted "as hot as possible" to mean as hot as you can get it before it starts to clip. Are you saying that is wrong Massive. or anyone else? I always thought that this was common sense that you would want to get the signal as hot a posible early in the chain in order to keep noise low. Am am pretty new to recording so maybe I am wrong. Not something I read anywhere; just kind'a thought that seemed like the way to do it keep signal to noise ratio down.

David M said:
I interpreted "as hot as possible" to mean as hot as you can get it before it starts to clip. Are you saying that is wrong Massive.
Yes, he is saying that is wrong. You need to get your signal up to line level as soon as possible. There is a big difference between line level and 'as hot as possible'.

David M said:
I interpreted "as hot as possible" to mean as hot as you can get it before it starts to clip.
Something to remember here is that at the beginning of the chain we're still talking analog. There is no clipping at zero in the digital sense. It is possible to drive many pieces of analog hardware well over zero, well over it's "sweet spot" and well "into the red" as measured on line-level-calibrated meters.

Some gear can take this "overdriving" better than others; sometimes it may even be desireable to saturate or overdrive some of the analog curcuitry, but this is usually when one is going for a special sound effect. And even when that is the case, the hot signal is temporary; one wants to bring the levels back to nominal levels for the next device in the chain (either by turning down the output gain on the overdriven device or by turning down the input gain on the next device in the chain.)

The point is that when talking analog, "as hot as possible" has a different meaning than when talking digital, and in analog "as hot as possible" (by the way most of us interpret that phrase) is not what one typically wants throughout their chain.

Bring the levels up to nominal right away? Absolutely. Make the levels "as hot as possible as soon as possible"? Nope.

Just an unfortunate turn of phrase on Simon's part, as he acknowledges. Not to be taken literally.

G.

Ok, so just now I was messing around with the levels between my mic preamp and my USB interface. Basically, as hot as I can get it without compromising sound is like this:

Mic Preamp Gain 11 oclock
Mic Preamp Output 11 oclock

USB mic input 1 oclock
USB mic output 1 oclock

If I raise any of these levels I start to get clipping and static. It actually sounds pretty good about there.

So just use your ears? Now that I have found these settings for my acoustic and this 8 Ball mic I want to write them down so I don't forget them and have to fiddle around wasting time next time I wanna record my acoustic.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

zenpeace69 said:
Ok, so just now I was messing around with the levels between my mic preamp and my USB interface. Basically, as hot as I can get it without compromising sound is like this:

Mic Preamp Gain 11 oclock
Mic Preamp Output 11 oclock

USB mic input 1 oclock
USB mic output 1 oclock

If I raise any of these levels I start to get clipping and static. It actually sounds pretty good about there.

So just use your ears? Now that I have found these settings for my acoustic and this 8 Ball mic I want to write them down so I don't forget them and have to fiddle around wasting time next time I wanna record my acoustic.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I think you'll find these settings will work 5% of the time. Why? Because shit happens. You play a different style one day then you did the day before. You might play a ballad one time and a loud rock song the next. You might sit or set the mic up a different way. You may even use a different mic....all of this is going to affect how much gain you use.
And for the last time, DON'T set the levels as hot as you can get them without clipping. There is no point in doing so.
(god, I wish digital companies would start putting 0dBFS lower on the scale so people would start freaking out if their signal went to high).

bennychico11 said:
And for the last time, DON'T set the levels as hot as you can get them without clipping. There is no point in doing so.
(god, I wish digital companies would start putting 0dBFS lower on the scale so people would start freaking out if their signal went to high).

But what if that's where it sounds best?

Do you have any advice other than to suggest what not to do?

SouthSIDE Glen said:
In the meantime, in general, you can get a great signal path keeping the level at line level (near 0VU on the metering) all the way through.
G.

Okay, I think I have been doing it right then because this is what I do. What I meant by "cliping" was that the meter goes in the red. I often run my preamp into a Vocal producer or a reverb and I'll turn up the preamp until the input meter on the next device is at o. Then when I run into the firewire I do the same thing; I'll turn up the output on the last device so the firewire meter is at 0 and the red light is not clipping. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but does this sound like I am doing it right?

David M said:
Okay, I think I have been doing it right then because this is what I do. What I meant by "cliping" was that the meter goes in the red. I often run my preamp into a Vocal producer or a reverb and I'll turn up the preamp until the input meter on the next device is at o. Then when I run into the firewire I do the same thing; I'll turn up the output on the last device so the firewire meter is at 0 and the red light is not clipping. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but does this sound like I am doing it right?
As long as all the meters you are talking about are analog, yes. The digital meters are the ones that you don't want to be anywhere near zero.

zenpeace69 said:
If I raise any of these levels I start to get clipping and static.
That is a hint and a half that everything is way too hot. Clipping on most gear is about 18db to 24db above line level.

The way you worded that, it sounds like you are running a mic preamp into another mic preamp. That would be bad as well.

Your mic preamp should be plugged into a line input. The line input should require no more gain because you have enough gain coming out of the mic preamp.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
I'm with Jay, it sounds like you are running a preamp into a preamp. No wonder your signal is too hot.

G.

Well, the mic preamp is going into the "line in" on the fast tracks USB interface. I know that when my firebox arrives I can run it into the "line in" from my mic preamp and it wouldn't be running through the firebox preamps. Whether or not that's the case with the fast tracks I don't know for sure.

Either way, no one has really explained how you are supposed to monitor levels (without trial and error by ear). Can I buy a meter to place within my signal chain? My DBX has 4 leds. The 4th LED is red which represents clipping. There are no level indicators on the USB interface. How do people usually do it?

Farview said:
That is a hint and a half that everything is way too hot. Clipping on most gear is about 18db to 24db above line level.

The way you worded that, it sounds like you are running a mic preamp into another mic preamp. That would be bad as well.

Your mic preamp should be plugged into a line input. The line input should require no more gain because you have enough gain coming out of the mic preamp.

It was plugged into the line input of the interface.

Let me ask you this, though, what you are suggesting is to back way, way off the point of clipping? If so, why is this? Does it help with the sound quality when you are piling up tracks?

Also, it's tough to tell what the hell is what with the levels when you are listening with headphones or computer moniters. This is a low-budget home studio rig, you know?

Back