Level setting problem with Pro Audio 9

MrKwik

**will man ho for gear**
Please bear with me as I'm pretty damn new to this. Here is my basic setup. I'm trying to lay down some drum tracks. I'm using 2 overheads, a close mic on the snare and one on the kick. I'm running through a Behringer 2004A mixer that has 4 output buses. I have the overheads on the 1/2 busses and the snare/kick on the 3/4 buses. My PC has 2 standard sound cards. Im trying to get 4 seperate drum tracks at one time, so I have the 1/2 bus going to the line in on one card and the 3/4 bus to the other card.

Here is my issue: when I solo each channel to set the gains, they have to be all the way down but the levels look about right to me at that setting so I guess that is OK. Then I use the sliders to set the level of each channel. Now when I arm a channel in PA9, the meter reads about halfway up and just kinda hovers there at like -24db. The slightest hit will peg the meter and playing with the slider on PA9 doesnt seem to really make a difference. If I adjust the bus sliders on the mixer way down (I mean like 1/5th the way up), then a nornal hit will just barely send the meter on PA9 into the orange, but the meter is always half way up no matter what. Am I doing something terribly wrong here or is this normal?

Is the volume low when you record?

And just one thing that you will find when you record over a longer time-periode, say 4 minutes. The tracks will start to drift apart if your two soundcard isn't synced to the same clock.

Well I'm not really sure about the volume to be honest because I'm also having a bit of a monitoring issue. It sounds like garbage but its doing that even when I play a CD. Still trying to figure that out.

Can the cards be synced or is that somethig built into the card. They are two different brand of card.

Back