Lets talk custom computers!?

ASG

I want to have a computer made from scratch, with dual processing and just jampacked with memory. aside from that i want to run windows xp. thats it. Whats a great store/website to have this done? I know this isnt very specific at all but can someone give me a really rough estimate of how much this would cost?

If you want to go that route you might aswell order the parts and build it yourself. Putting a computer together is really quite easy. There's little chance for any serious errors unless you're rubbing a balloon on your head while you do it (static). It's really a waste of money paying whatever it would cost on top for someone to put it together for you.

DIY...Really?

With no offense toward anywone...

Do you gentlemen who advocate the OP building his own computer really think someone who wants a computer "jampacked with memory ... to run windows xp" is currently capable of even ordering the parts, much less assembling them? Time is money, and by the time the OP invests enough time to learn enough about computers and the virtues on one processor over another, etc. to build one, he would probably end up spending more "money" than if they just bought one from a reputable supplier.

To the gentleman looking for a computer, XP can only access and use slightly more than 3 GB of memory, so "jampacking" it with memory is a total waste of money.

May I suggest you start by talking to the folks at Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com)? They offer a line of reasonably priced computers especially designed for recording. I'll post links to other manufacturers at the end of this post so you can also check them out.

You will also want to be able to tell whoever you talk to what recording software and hardware you intend to use, and how you intend to use it. Recording a 100-piece symphony orchestra will generally requires a bit more computer than what would be needed for recording just guitar and vocals in your bedroom.

BTW: I've been making music for more than 45 years. I've been in the IT game (mostly software, but a lot of hardware) for more than 20 years. I could quite readily build my next music computer, or, in the same amount of time, I could write a song or two, learn a bit more about Pro Tools, or work on adding a few more drum licks to my "lick box". So, next time I need a new music computer I'll just make a couple of phone calls, then sit back and wait for the big brown truck.

Here's some other computer vendors:

http://www.reyniersaudio.com/

http://www.pcaudiolabs.com/

http://www.adkproaudio.com/

http://rainrecording.com/

http://www.shop-sonica.com/default.cfm

http://www.visiondaw.com/productcart/pc/index.asp

Good luck...

If you want to go that route you might aswell order the parts and build it yourself. Putting a computer together is really quite easy. There's little chance for any serious errors unless you're rubbing a balloon on your head while you do it (static). It's really a waste of money paying whatever it would cost on top for someone to put it together for you.
I suspect that you either work in computers, do extensive work with computers or know a great deal about computers with a serious bank of knowledge that has grown, solidified and matured over a period of years.
I believe that from your perspective you mean well. But I can assure you, unless you know what you are doing, there is nothing easy about it. If you gave me all the parts, well, they'd stay in a bag in a cupboard until I could find someone to build it or until Prince charles becomes king, whichever comes first. :D I couldn't build one.

With no offense toward anywone...

Do you gentlemen who advocate the OP building his own computer really think someone who wants a computer "jampacked with memory ... to run windows xp" is currently capable of even ordering the parts, much less assembling them? Time is money, and by the time the OP invests enough time to learn enough about computers and the virtues on one processor over another, etc. to build one, he would probably end up spending more "money" than if they just bought one from a reputable supplier....

You make it sound like you need to study for years to get some qualification in computer assembly.

Even if I was buying a computer, and I didn't know much about them, I'd still want to know why I was buying x over y. That's about 30 minutes to an hour of research if that. What parts to get is something that can be muddled through here. Ordering the parts? 15 minutes. Assembling them? 30-40 minutes. Installing windows and updating it. 90-120 minutes.

So maybe a little over 4 hours of time put in there. Lets add another hour just to be safe. A conservative estimate for a beginner.

If it isn't acceptable to spend 5 hours learning a bit of what your doing (how long do people spend in front of the TV these days?), and saving a load of money in the process, then that says a lot about the fucked up state of our sped up, 'everything now' society.

Build it yourself, learn something in the process, and save some money.

Time is money? Time spent learning something is invaluable.

Last edited:
I suspect that you either work in computers, do extensive work with computers or know a great deal about computers with a serious bank of knowledge that has grown, solidified and matured over a period of years.

Nope. I'm an accountant. When I built my first computer, I asked someone what to do. I then utilised my memory to store this information for later use. If I was building one now, I'd need to go look on the internet and find out because things have changed a lot since the last time. I have an understanding of how computers work, sure, but I'm no expert.

My opinion is that if you're recording with computers, it's worth learning a little about the things, because things can go wrong, and it's nice to know why even if you can't fix them. Just like if you play guitar it's worth learning how to set one up etc etc. Sure, it ain't 100% neccessary, but it makes life easier down the line.

While I still don't agree that the time cost is great enough or it to be a deciding factor, I will concede that if the guy doesn't feel comfortable doing it then that's a fair enough reason not to. I still think it's worth considering though. People like me are more than happy to advise guys like this on their options.

Time is money? Time spent learning something is invaluable.
I agree with that. I never go with the 'time is money' argument. But unless one wants to go into the mechanics of building something, you'll be better off buying/ getting someone to do it. I'll often do things myself but there are some things that don't grab my interest that way and in those cases, I'll look to someone that does know their way around whatever it may be.

Hmmm.....

So people will really pay to have their PC custom built and receive consultation on the innards?

I think I just found a potential career move. :D

Hmmm.....

So people will really pay to have their PC custom built and receive consultation on the innards?
Well, in the same way that some will have a guitar custom made rather than make one themselves. As a kid Brian May made his own guitar which he used throughout his tenure with Queen. But Jimi Hendrix didn't......

Before going to a custom builder or looking for parts I'd look at some of the desk top towers coming out now available from any electronics store. There are some very impressive machines out there for well under a grand. And look into what you need, as was mentioned recording an orchestra is gonna require more computer than say 2 tracks at a time.

I don't know ..... The last time I put a computer together when it came to the keyboard I got the numbers and letters all mixed up and no one could understand my e-mails for months until I got all of the keys in their right spot. :laughings:

:cool:

I don't know ..... The last time I put a computer together when it came to the keyboard I got the numbers and letters all mixed up and no one could understand my e-mails for months until I got all of the keys in their right spot. :laughings:

Yeah, I actually screwed up pretty bad when I built my first PC. It was a horrible, horrible experiment. Remember in Alien Resurrection when they find that lab with all the failed Ripley experiments? That.

Basically, long story short, it came out as a Mac so I took it out behind the shed and shot it. It was a mercy killing.

Yeah, I actually screwed up pretty bad when I built my first PC. It was a horrible, horrible experiment. Remember in Alien Resurrection when they find that lab with all the failed Ripley experiments? That.

Basically, long story short, it came out as a Mac so I took it out behind the shed and shot it. It was a mercy killing.

:laughings::laughings::laughings: It's alive! My PC it's alive! ... Sh!t it's a mac BANG.
~ Friends don't let friends build macs.

If you're feeling squirley, building your own computer is a FINE idea. It helps if you know someone that can help you out while picking your parts and help you out if you get stuck, but its no where near as time consuming as building a car or a guitar like implied above. I'd say that for anyone to have the inclination to record at home, success will depend on a good amount of self-sufficiency. If you're smart enough to record on a computer, you should be smart enough to assemble one. Its not like you'll be soildering things together, or doing a bunch of engineering. Maybe you aren't quite there yet (with either your recording skills or your computer skills) and thats fine too.

You can have a machine built to your specs at a local computer shop. I look at computer shops ALOT like a look at a mechanic. The more you know, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of. Although, I think I've been to more mechanics I trust than computer shops I trust. Like most big-box stores, don't count on getting any useful advise at Best Buy. MicroCenter is a bit better, but again, those guys are paid on commission- I'd consider myself fairly proficient with computers and I've been less than impressed with some of the knowledge I've seen from their sales staff.

Off the shelf machines are another option, but you pay a bit of a premium and the likelihood of getting (and paying for) exactly what you need off the shelf is unlikely. Of course, again, we're back to actually *knowing* exactly what you need. Alot of the computers you get off the shelf *sound* like a good deal, but alot of times they're built with questionable components (a blanket statement, I know) and in the budget range, you'll almost always get video on the motherboard, which soaks up resources you could be using for other things.

Anyway, sorry for the book. So, really, what do you want to do with this computer and how much do you want to spend.

I built my own recording PC from parts I ordered, prior to that the only things I'd done had been swapping out a video card and installing a new hard drive.

It is NOT complicated as long as you have even the slightest idea of how a computer works. Google will answer any question you have and I'm sure YouTube has plenty of how-to videos.

I think I'm the only person I've met who actually liked Alien Resurrection. I built The Betty from sheet plastic, man that took some time.

I own a Mac, great online security, everything else, not a lot of fun.

I also have a Mr. Flibble puppet, and he is very cross, keeps trying to get me with his hex vision. Smeg it.

Meh, computer building isn't exactly hard, its just a fit all the pieces together exercise... I know a few people who have managed it with no previous experience; it just might take them a little longer than a more experienced person. Yes you can damage things if you get it wrong, but nowadays you would have to do something seriously stupid to screw things up (for example, you nearly always get warning stickers about making sure the CPU is orientated correctly before dropping it into the socket, so you would need to ignore these obvious warnings before you ended up bending pins). The main things that you improve on with experience are speed/efficiency of builds, and proficiency at cable management, but these are things that aren't essential for a first-time person (though I would recommend spending a bit of time on keeping the case tidy, as it helps with airflow and in the long term).

Disclaimer: I'm hammered now, I may edit this post in the morning to correct spelling errors, poor grammar, etc.

Last edited:
Back