let's help each other!

daddijonez

to everyone! Yo I think I'm coming up on my Mixing game so If anybody wants a track mixed from somebody other than themselves I'll do one for free!! Holla at me fo' real! I use pro-tools and some cool plug-ins!

I think everyone is way ahead of you on this one... We all know how to mix particularly well. There's plenty of tips around in this forum if you do a search, it might help you out. Tips are posted by many of us, including myself. Stick around, you'll learn something

Yeah there's a mixing thread around here somewhere that mindset or bknot started a couple of weeks ago where cats can get their stuff mixed by other members if needed/wanted. But good gesture I doubt anyone will take you up on it, even if people suck at mixing all together their ego's will get in the way...lol

wsup

Mindset said:
I think everyone is way ahead of you on this one... We all know how to mix particularly well. There's plenty of tips around in this forum if you do a search, it might help you out. Tips are posted by many of us, including myself. Stick around, you'll learn something

I don't need tips man! I'm just sayin if somebody that don't know how to or just wants to hear their music with someone else mixing would sound! If you don't need then you shouldn't respond! BE EAZY!!!

daddijonez said:
I don't need tips man! I'm just sayin if somebody that don't know how to or just wants to hear their music with someone else mixing would sound! If you don't need then you shouldn't respond! BE EAZY!!!
You need to kill your attitude in this forum, fam. No one is here to compete with you, so slow your roll.

I listened to the track on your soundclick, and the mix isn't great, it's decent. So yes, you DO need tips, and you need some practice. The synth in your track is competing for frequencies amongst the vocals. Your adlibs are taking over your main vocals on 2 of the 3 emcees (the 2nd and 3rd ones). I won't critique the drums/percussion on an MP3 as too many frequencies aren't being represented.

Vocals sound crisp, and you've got a good grasp on effects use, but you still have plenty to learn. So don't pop off about people not responding, or what not. Relax, get used to the forum, and learn something. Welcome to the site.

Change of POETS said:
You need to kill your attitude in this forum, fam. No one is here to compete with you, so slow your roll.

I listened to the track on your soundclick, and the mix isn't great, it's decent. So yes, you DO need tips, and you need some practice. The synth in your track is competing for frequencies amongst the vocals. Your adlibs are taking over your main vocals on 2 of the 3 emcees (the 2nd and 3rd ones). I won't critique the drums/percussion on an MP3 as too many frequencies aren't being represented.

Vocals sound crisp, and you've got a good grasp on effects use, but you still have plenty to learn. So don't pop off about people not responding, or what not. Relax, get used to the forum, and learn something. Welcome to the site.

YEAH, WHAT HE SAID !! LOL

if you stick around this forum you'll find out a lot about yourself and your skills when it comes to music.. everybody on here is skilled in their own way and would love to help anyone who asks for it.. so one thing to remember is.... NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE...YOU SHOULD ALWAYS STRIVE TO BE BETTER...
so yes. you do need tips.... you do need positive and constructive criticism.. and you do need to come CORRECT when you post on this forum... cuz we aint having it... LOL ... but that's real homie. i read more often than i post on this forum because the guys on here have some real knowledge, keep that in mind. WELCOME, and i hope you stick around cuz there's always some good *ISH* on here. we might be able to do something since we're both in the LOU !!!

word id like to see how some one else would mix one of my songs, what would you need just to the wav or each instrument?

ammarg89 said:
word id like to see how some one else would mix one of my songs, what would you need just to the wav or each instrument?
Unless you're on ProTools (which he said he uses) you'll need to track everything out from location Zero (0:00:00) in the multitrack program you're using. Solo each track, and export each track as a wav or aif. Then send him the entire session.

actually all you need to do is save your Pro Tools session like regular, go into the digidesign folder (or save it to where you can find it by doing a save session as), and zip up the entire sessions (make sure you get rid of the backup files if you don't need them to make the file size smaller. And send him the zip. All effects used by plug-ins that both of you have, will be saved, and reopened like the session never left the box. This also includes routing information, so if your working on 24 tracks, and he's working on 12 track io's, and you have something on track 18, he won't be able to hear it until he goes to the insert sends and changes them to say an open track, 12. Other than that, everything basically stays the same.

Anyways,

I'm always being easy. Everyone needs tips and tricks in this industry, you me, the person down the street, Dr Dre, Kanye, whoever it is, is always open to more knowledge (if they're mind is set in the first place). Now for the mixing someone else's track, hey that's a good idea, I know personally that's how I'm working on training a few producers of mine. Mixing your own music, you start to train your ears on what you think sounds good from you. When entering a realm of mixing someone else's music, one starts finding themselves paying attention to a little more detail, and starts to learn a different type of mixing style (which every mix is always different in it's own sense), I know I find myself like that if I work with a new artist, or someone I don't know. The difference between each mix might not be drastic or anything, it's probably the size of a bug splat if your already a decent engineer, but it always (usually) gets better in time.

Now what Change says about the music is probably right (since I haven't heard the mix yet anyways). Work on your frequencies, I think there's a frequency chart posted by bknot & myself somewhere on this board. Also I know that southside glen (member of the board) has his own website with a dynamic flow chart of the frequencies like the chart on this board, but interactive.

First off, learn the frequencies because you'll need to know them for better mixes. (also learn the arrangement of your mix too)

Second, get all your tools ready, and know what tools do what down to how it works. Know how to exactly use delay, reverb, how it's connected, etc.

Third you just start mixing. Learn that in music, regardless of genre, there's times in a song that an instrument changes over a role. Say like during a rock song, and then at the end of the track, with 1 minute left, the lead guitar starts throwing down a bomb riff. Turn it up.. That's the current center stage of the performance. Don't let your mix just ride along to the end of the song unless that's the sound you want.

There's like a billion tips that each of us knows, and are out there in this world. I doubt anyone in the world knows all about production. I myself, am not the perfect producer/engineer or artist, but hey I know where I start. I just don't know when I'll finish ;)

wsup

you right bra I just said that becuase it sounded like you automatically assumed that I was here to show people up! Like my post said let's help each other I'm always looking for knowledge. So again you right I think yall just didn't understand where I was coming from. I'm not here to make enemies! I critique music honestly and I'm not saying I'm better than anyone on here...but I do me pretty damn good! So props to all yall doing yall music some people can't even begin to write a song or make a beat!!! STAY UP!!!

i think it's the exclamation points that threw them off!!! see what i mean! if you aren't yelling at them, don't use exclamations!!

that's all. have a great day.

Back