Let's hear your Fantom, Kurzweil, Motif, Triton, Other

mawtangent

Okay my other thread is going nowhere ("Let's hear your songs using Roland XP/JV sounds), Maybe most here are just not into older synths...so instead of getting too specific about models and eras of sound engines and having a thread for each, I've decided to try to save face and just request you all to post songs using your new, cutting edge, hardware synths/modules, especially synths from the "Big 4" made in the last 5 years. (if you are using Nord, General Music, or other, you are also invited)...some commentary would be nice, especially pertaining to the role of the synth in your song...I would like to hear the modern synths sounds in action and get an idea of the similarities and differences of sound among different synths...educate me...I'm stuck in the '90's.

Last edited:
Thanks bsr2002 for your reply...I wanted to get to a cable connection to listen to your songs unhindered by the the drawbacks of dial-up and it has taken me a while to do that...I have heard "It's Right" before and I like it...I've read a lot of your posts and you really seem to be into your keyboards, and into making songs and gigging.

If you have a few minutes I would like to hear your take on the evolution of the workstation. I have an Roland XP-50 (mid-90's) and I know FM sound was big for a while in the mid-80's (I have the, mostly FM, Yamaha V50), and before that analog was it (and is still highly regarded anew today). What would you say is the greatest difference between the workstation-type synths that ruled in the mid-90's and the ones going now?...I have read descriptions and have noted that the amount of memory is much greater on todays workstation synths...does this result in obviously better sound or does that memory go into more variety of sounds? Is "sampled" sound still the standard...for a while I read about "physical modeling" but haven't heard much about it recently. In your opinion can you really hear a quality difference when making a comparison (say between your X-3 and your Motif) or is it more of a case of personal taste with each instrument having strengths and weaknesses. Is the onboard sequencer still alive and well on these new instruments or is there more of a move to hooking up and doing things on computer?...

One of my excuses for asking these questions is that I haven't seen/heard any of the big name workstation synths in any music store where I live...this is the land of Bob Seger and Lynard Skynard (no offense intended, I like some of their songs)...the only way I ever got to hear a top of the line workstation keyboard was to order it by mail...anyway I would still like to hear what people are doing with their keyboards and/or their .02 on the subject the evolution of the synth/keyboard.

What would you say is the greatest difference between the
workstation-type synths that ruled in the mid-90's and the
ones going now?...
==========================================================

The greatest difference for me are the sounds, though
it's still a matter of taste if you like the sounds right out
of the box..."OR" if you're willing to spend a little time
tweeking those sounds or coming up with your own. I'm to lazy
to come up with my own so I tweek the sounds to my liking.

In your opinion can you really hear a quality difference
when making a comparison (say between your X-3 and your Motif)
or is it more of a case of personal taste with each instrument
having strengths and weaknesses.

There is a quality difference between my Motif and my X3 and I
credit that to technology. Of course if I were to use just my
Motif at one gig and go play with just my X3 at another gig
I really doubt that the audience would tell the difference
or even care. "My Opinion" :) (Unless you were another keyboard player) and if you are why aint you out gign' anyways??? Just kidding. :) LOL

I bought my YAMAHA strictly for it's sounds I knew the
sequencer would be a bitch. So until recently I've been
using the X3 SEQ with the Motif sounds. Now I use a KARMA.
I think all KORGS are pretty user friendly at seq and the
layout hasn't really changed (even with a Triton).

===========================================================

Is the onboard sequencer still alive and well on these new
instruments or is there more of a move to hooking up and
doing things on computer?...
===========================================================

The only thing I don't like about these newer workstations
is that they don't have internal memory like the older ones
do like my X3.

A good example is: I have an idea I put it in my seq, turn
it off and I'll get back to it the next day.

If I were to do that with my Karma or Mo all would be lost.
I know it's just one extra step to push the save button but
the one time you forget S.O.L. :)

Just my humblest of opinions,
Ben

Back