Let Your Love Lead On (Mono and Stereo)

George Parler

I encoded the original song again this time in stereo, the first time was mono. I have both of them post at NWR. If you have time please listen and give me the pros and cons of both or either.

The link to both versions:
Let Your Love Lead On

Thanks,

<><
George

I was wrong with my first guess of problems collasping a mix to mono in this situation. It seemed to transfer ok from stereo to mono. However, the vocals almost borderline on the 'telephone' effect sound. The bass gtr is also waaay down there, muddy/eq wise. The gtrs are a tad midrangy/peaky too. I suspect you might have a monitoring setup that is leading you astray as the music and performances are generally much better than the recording side of things. If you let one of those Nashville wizards get ahold of you, your stuff would be right there amongst some of the chart toppers. As it is, the recording is hurting your stuff...(even though the song is supposed to be the item).

nice tune.. sounds good for the most part, but the vocals sounded a bit mid rangeish... actually the guitar is a bit midrangeish too.. Not a big deal, but worth keeping in mind next time maybe.. Yeah, some of the higher notes are a bit harsh.. just a bit.. nice tune though.. sounds good for the most part, but probably could be made to sound a bit softer.. I don't know how to do that, but just think softer.. :D

Out of curiousity, why did you bother to post a mono mix?

B.SABBATH said:
Out of curiousity, why did you bother to post a mono mix?

B.SABBATH, Thanks for listening. This was just an experiment. I had read an article about encoding mp3's. I don't have the article right here in front of me so I will try to explain what I understood in my own redneck terminology.

The file sizes of both are exactly the same. Therefore the data within the file of a stereo track is representing the wave forms of a left and right side. Which to my understanding, (which very well could be wrong mind you), is dividing the available wave form infromation between to seperate wave forms. In the mono track that same amount of available information is dedicated to one wave form, therefore a more accurate picture of the original wave form. Like I said though, I'm just going on an uneducated aventure trying to find out. I know there is a trade off with no stereo panning effects going mono. I figured the only way to find out is to try it, then throw it out here and find out what other ears and knowledge I can learn from.

<><
George

Back