let me see your studio!

good idea to post pix?

• this thread suxxxx

Votes: 46 3.6%
  • not interested in peeking into other's bedrooms

Votes: 19 1.5%
  • is that an Ozbourne poster on the wall?? Yikes!

Votes: 62 4.9%
  • man -- when did you clean up the last time?

Votes: 185 14.5%
  • I am so jeleous! Can I move into your house??

Votes: 963 75.5%

• Total voters
desk.JPG

r2r.JPG

Hi All,

Here is my modest basement studio. I just finished the vocal booth, still have to put the door on. I think this was a pretty cool idea as the top, sides, back and angle are all seperate...None are attached to each other or the walls, they just rest on each other. I needed something that's easily removed. It only cost me $350...Just OC 703, 2x2 spruce framing and felt fabric.

Attachments

• SAM_1178.jpg
    SAM_1178.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 702
  • SAM_1175.jpg
    SAM_1175.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 700
  • SAM_1171.jpg
    SAM_1171.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 696
  • SAM_1177.jpg
    SAM_1177.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 695
I just finished the vocal booth, still have to put the door on.
Probably won't need a door if you're projecting out into the room from the booth.

Although it kind of looks as if you have it set up to project into... If that's the case, try it the other way.

I hear ya guys. However, I'm trying to make it as sound proof as possible, so the door is really just another insulated panel that slides into place. I might install tracking on the ceiling to have slide into place or might just pull it into place by hand but that'll be a pain in the butt.

It's not a perfect design but the mic no longer picks up the furnace, ac, or family movement on the next floor up so I'm very happy with the outcome.

Well it's definitely not sound proof if someone were talking in the same room but I've tested it out with the door panel and now I don't pick up the furnace/ac which is in an adjacent room, I no longer pick up plumbing noises like if someone flushes the toilet upstairs and I no longer pick up my family moving around upstairs. So now I can record vocals without having to ask my family to keep quiet and no longer have to turn off the ac or furnace when recording.

In the end, it's all about what works for you man. Take advice from others who have experience as a way to avoid wasting time and money. You solved one problem now. IMO, you will likely, soon find a new one with your setup. Just sayin. :D

.... without having to ask my family to keep quiet and no longer have to turn off the ac or furnace when recording.

LOL I've done all that.. Forget to turn the furnace back on in the middle of winter, see how that goes over with the family! :D What kinda backing is on those booth panels, and what is that stuff exactly? You have other panels all over your room, if that backing on the booth is really thin, it may not be so bad on the acoustics. Isn't the main problem with iso booths the reflections from the closer walls? Ie 'boxy' sound.. I'm not an acoustics expert, just kinda speculating / theorizing. If the isolation benefits outweigh what might be a minor or even negligible acoustic affect it could be well worth it. Your tracks will tell you.

Looks like a nice little setup tho, you have some nice stuff in there!

I'm not an acoustics expert, just kinda speculating / theorizing. If the isolation benefits outweigh what might be a minor or even negligible acoustic affect it could be well worth it. Your tracks will tell you.

Looks like a nice little setup tho, you have some nice stuff in there!

I'm no expert either but it is in a corner so that is where bass likes to get weird. But your right the recordings will tell - they might sound awesome.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The panels are built with 2" spruce framing, 2" Owens Corning 703 inside and 5/8" press board on the back. On the left side there is a "real" wall behind two thirds of the panel. The right panel has a full wall behind it. The top panel has the ceiling behind it. The back panel has open space behind it. The back angled panel has the stairs behind it and the door panel has nothing behind.

The vocals I've done thus far don't sound boxy to me but instead very clear.

Back