let me know how to improve this mix

Intro vocals are too low...when the main vocals come in it sounds much better. I thought the bass level was extreme. Good rappin.....
The level overall is very loud and the recording seems to be clipping - is this a "mastered" version?

EDIT - So I downloaded your tune and RAMI's Frozen...and compared the two in Sound Forge. Your tune is definitely clipping my meters, whereas Rami's has no clipping. His appears to be "limited" to -.1 db so there's no clipping and it's pretty loud...

Maybe Rami will chime in with his secrets for getting a good clean/loud mix without clipping....

The screen prints below 1) Your Mix, 2) Rami's mix

Attachments

• 36060.jpg
    36060.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Frozen.jpg
    Frozen.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
thanks... you're definitely right... there is clipping... the vocals are a pain because the vocalist/rapper couldn't keep a consistent volume. Do you think I should do a track envelope and adjust the volume for each peak and low point? or should i compress?

for the overall loudness, i tried to get it as loud as a normal mp3. I played some mp3 and then increased the level to match that volume but, yeah, clipping was introduced.

thanks again.

Maybe Rami will chime in with his secrets for getting a good clean/loud mix without clipping....
Cool Ido. I limit to get my peak up to -.2db and my average level to be about -12db.
or should i compress?

for the overall loudness, i tried to get it as loud as a normal mp3.

There is no way you can get it up to "Pro" CD volume without limiting. You have to mix it nowhere near "loud", and then use a limiter to get the volume up. Just cranking up the volume to match Pro levels is a recipe for clipping...and disaster. :)

The thing is, your original question was this:
what would you recommend me doing to make this sound better than it currently is?
You're asking about the mix. That has nothing to do with the final level. That's done in the mastering stage. Get your mix as good as it can sound without worrying about volume first. Then you can worry about limiting to get your volume louder.

you're right, im asking about the mix. not the final volume or the clipping. I was telling Ido1957 why the clipping was there in that track. I can just lower the volume to eliminate the clipping. As you said, the clipping isn't my concern. It's the mix.

That's true - if you were to drop the volume we could analyze the mix better - like overall balance/panning/treble/bass etc. The problem with compression is that it mushes stuff together and makes the mix harder to discern. It's also very fatiguing to listen to over-compressed. I'm not well versed in limiting but limiting does not seem to affect the mix the same way - take Rami's tune for example....but I could be off track...

Much better sound...
- intro vocals much better (I think it's an important into to your story)
- auto tune part is a little louder than the rest of the mix
- main vocals are IMO a bit low. They almost seem like the singer is too far away from the mic. Could use some more "closeness" or "presence".
:D:cool::D:cool:

what about eq or compression?

i don't know much about either but it seems like they are almost synonymous with mixing.

Back