less hissing noise

deadkennedys

hey im using an sm58 mic and acid pro and a behringer 2 channel mixer i keep getting hissing noises everytime i record how do i get a cleaner sound? where should i position the mic

you didn't really specify what you are trying to record.. voice? an amp? hiss can often be minimized by finding the correct balance between the recording input levels on your soundcard (assuming that's what you're feeding the mixer into) and the outputs on the mixer. avoid using any kind of gain boost feature.. hiss should never be a result of the way you position your mic, unless it's from an amp, in which case it will certainly be more sensitive to certain positions, but then, repositioning the mic to minimize hiss will change the sound of the guitar in such a case. an amp just naturally gives off a certain amount of hiss, at least tube amps. In any case as a last resort you can always use the hiss reduction features of such programs as Adobe Audition.. it's not the ideal solution but if it's all you can do to improve the sound, do it, just carefully to avoid too many artifacts.

deadkennedys said:
hey im using an sm58 mic and acid pro and a behringer 2 channel mixer i keep getting hissing noises everytime i record how do i get a cleaner sound? where should i position the mic
Plug the mixer into the Line in on your sound card, not the Mic in.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Plug the mixer into the Line in on your sound card, not the Mic in.

G.

lol good point, forgot to bring that one up. but then, many good recording cards don't even have a mic-in, so his problem might lay elsewhere.

The problem is that you are using a Behringer mixer. They don't have very quiet pre amps. You will get that hiss no matter what you try. The solution is a better pre amp or mixer.
A lot of people swear by the Yamaha MG series. I have the MG 10/2. It's not as quiet at a $20,000 mixing board, but I don't have the hiss problems.

Rokket said:
The problem is that you are using a Behringer mixer. They don't have very quiet pre amps. You will get that hiss no matter what you try. The solution is a better pre amp or mixer.
A lot of people swear by the Yamaha MG series. I have the MG 10/2. It's not as quiet at a $20,000 mixing board, but I don't have the hiss problems.

I use a Behringer mixer too...my noise level aint that bad as i thought it would be. maybe its just my signal chain. before i upgraded my mic cable, it was pretty noisy...and before i bought my audiophile 2496, it was even noisier! now things are really good.trust me.

Back