Lend Me Your Golden Ears, OK?

Gidge said:
which version of the A51 do you have?

A51
A51 S
A51 TL
A51 TC

This one I have, which is on loan to me, is the A 51. It also says type III on the back. They made several different versions of the mic. I'll try to find the info and post it here. So far, I'm enjoying singing into it a bunch.

OK, here is the info Larry Villella of ADK sent to me:

The Type III was a pure U-67 sonic imitation.
Everyone in Nashville Loved it. No one in LA or NY liked it at all!

So we came out with a simultaneous version - the IV. Much more "Austrian" sounding. All the Guys in LA went nuts for it.
Great Rock-Oriented Mic. But: the guys in Nashville hated it!

So the Version V was the first "blended" curve that we ever did,
and for the past two years has been a runaway best seller.
LA and NY and Nashville all seem to be happy with this mic.

So--Gidge--it sounds like the version V might be the one to go for--although I like this version III--must be the Nashville in me!

I won't read any other posts 'till I get this down so I'm not influenced.

The first one sounds veiled.....it's...ummm........ok I guess but it sounds like there's a film or veil over the sound....didn't care for it. ( Hope it's not the V93 :D )

The second one sounds brighter and a lot better BUT.....it sounds like there is a low-mid hump in the response....maybe around 500hz and it's fairly pronounced to me so that it mushes up the sound.

The third one is much better and I pretty much like it.....it has good detail and body although there is a slight nasal quality to it....very slight but there.

The fourth one is the one I like best.....good intimate sound......captures the details and, to me, has a very natural sound.

I could go for 3 or 4 although in this test I slightly preferred 4.
To really tell I'll have to burn this to a CD and listen on my reference system. I'll do that this weekend if you'd like. Now to go see what everyone else thinks. ;)

Back