Left and right channels, how to get one channel in stereo?

Acoustic_Daddy

Hi guys,

i purchased all the gear i needed (samson co1, edirol ua-25, etc) and i set it all up, and working nice.

Now, i went to record into channel 1 (input 1/Left) and it recorded and all was good. I could play it back, etc..

But,
I noticed that in acid pro 4.0, there's 2 monitoring graphs in the recording window, and when i record in the left channel, only the left channel graph moves, and i only get sound in the left hand side of my headphones.. I then put the mic into the Input 2/Right channel and sure enough, only the right channel monitor graph moved...

So, i put a 20 second guitar track down, then rendered it to a wav file, and played it in winamp, and sure enough, hardly any (though a whisper) of sound when i put the fade to absolute right, and heaps of stereo sound when absolute left..

So, why is it doing this?

How do i record so that one channel makes both the monitor graphs move and it's stereo? Because i wanna lay a stereo guitar track down, so sound comes out of both headphones, and then lay a vocal track down..

Thanks,
Chris

I'm not familiar with your software, but... Somewhere there's a "pan" dial, virtual or otherwise. The 2 tracks you are using appear to be linked as a stereo pair, so that the left channel is panned hard left and the right channel is panned hard right. If there is a way to unlink them, do it. In any event, somewhere, there's a dial that you can use to pan your track "down the middle". Also, note that having the thing panned down the middle makes it 2 channel mono, not stereo. 2 separate inputs on 2 channels does not make it stereo either. It makes it 2 tracks. Stereo recording is specifically a type of recording using 2 mics into 2 channels designed to replicate what your 2 ears hear in a live listening situation, and there's quite a bit more to it than 2 mics. Your 2 channels are looking for 2 stereo inputs, and somewhere you need to change stereo to mono, which should unlink the 2 channels. Hope that helps.-Richie

Yea, I'm using Tracktion and there are just radio buttons to select wether you want stereo pair or separately (using UA-5.. pretty similar to 25).

You could also use 2 mics to record your guitar and use the result in stereo. :rolleyes: I love stereo.. I'm a stereoholic...

Thanks guys!

There's an option in the recording bit that allows you to set what your input is.

There were three options;

- Edirol UA-25
- Edirol UA-25 (Mono, left input)
- Edirol UA-25 (Mono, Right input)

I had it set to the normal Edirol UA-25, and so i changed it to the left input mono setting, and i got sound in both ears..

Thanks guys!

I'll post up some quality mp3's from a dodgy australian bedroom recording studio soon! lol!

Back