Leaving tape on the machine

reel buzzer

Is it OK to leave the reel of tape on the machine overnight for a few nights?

Or should I be taking the tape off the machine every night?

Both.

Tape has metallic particles in it and when its in the air (which contains moisture) the magnatism from the heads create a corrosive environment. Corrosion is bad for heads. On the tape side the heads will still be activated somewhat and that will cause a slight particle shift or random scatter. Its very slight but its works against you because its a form of noise.

SoMm

reel buzzer - SoMm is right on all counts. The biggest danger to leaving tape on the machine is that when you power the machine on, the in rush current through the heads can induce a magnetic field and erase portions of your tape... I often leave tape on the machine overnight but I do take care and pull the tape away from the heads before powering the deck on or off.

Cheers
Kevin.

longsoughtfor said:
The biggest danger to leaving tape on the machine is that when you power the machine on, the in rush current through the heads can induce a magnetic field and erase portions of your tape...
And some transports have been known to engage and snap the tape or dump edit onto the floor. They don't say Ghost in the Machine for nuthin :) And don't pull a slipperman either :)

SoMm

reel buzzer said:
Thanks guys. I guess I'm just being lazy.
I can take 5 minutes to put the damn tape away.
And clean up your room, young man and take out the garbage!:mad:

My god!:(

I have turned into my parents!:eek:

Cheers!:)

Back