Learning What Mics 'Sound' Like

bryanzera

I envy everyone out there that has one of the following items:

A) A budget that allows for purchasing high quality microphones, even if it is just to test it out, and return it if you don't like the sound.

B) A good relationship with someone who owns several high quality microphones.

C) A local shop that carries high quality microphones AND has a quiet room where you can compare them side by side AND has them at a fair price.

My situation is such where I don't have any of these things. I loathe going into Guitar Center to try to look at microphones while little kids are banging away on the keyboards and some Hendrix wannabe is cranked way up in the guitar room and trying to compare in there. The local-owned shop can order these mics, but they don't keep them in stock, and don't have any setup where you could try the mics out.

So where does that leave me? I want to be able to tell the difference between good microphones. I guess I just have to get my ears into a studio. Until then, what might you suggest?

if you say where you are, maybe someone knows of a place in your area, or lives ten blocks away and has a suitcase full of neumanns.

One way would be to start with a few different affordable microphones, including a good dynamic in addition to a condenser.

Then record yourself and/or others so you become familiar with the differences in tone. A few times a month I get to record various singers in my acapella chapter. Do they care if I'm using
X or Y microphone-no way! As a result, I've learned more about
how these microphones sound on vocals than if I interned quite a
few hours at a local pro studio instead.

How much did you want to budget for this?
A good quality mic pre will open more options for you,
particularly with dynamic microphones BTW.

Chris

That always bother me as well. A location (even if it's just a state) would really be nice - a city thrown in there would be even nicer.

Having said that, it's really important to understand how mics work, which will help narrow down the choices considerably. Learning the advantages and disadvantages of each type of microphone, and how polar patterns affect the sound, are key first steps in choosing the right mic for the job.

Mic's sound

Start researching recording studios near you.
Find out which one has the mics you want to try.
Most pro studios have web pages and list what's in their mic cabinets.
Call them and book an hour of time, telling them your purpose and what mics you'd like to try with what preamp recorded to what media.
It could cost as little as 20 bucks for the hour, possibly more but many studios will welcome the chance to make a few dollars during slow times.
You also get to hear the mics in pretty good rooms with pretty good equipment which should help you make up your mind.
The second worst place to test a mic after a music store is on the floor at an audio convention, unless the company has a room somewhere in a quiet area.

Right now, I have an SM58, which I've thought about using for an upcoming recording (solo vocal overdubbed ala Bobby McFerrin) just for the kitsch of having done it all on a mic that might not be exactly suited for the purpose. I have an ECM8000 too, but that's just to start my collection.

Currently, I'm living in Fresno, California, and I know a few people who have access to studios. Thanks for all the tips!

Back