learning to program drums

theshaggyfreak

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some good articles, sites or books that help with the learning process. Mostly I want to study up to help with my craft. Thanks in advance!

I've got some books that show a 16th note grid (which in essence reflects whole notes. 1/2 notes, 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes and 16th notes (based on which grid box is used.

The books show various 4 bar grooves in a number of musical styles. I'll find them tonight and post the names (but I suspect they are out of print).

The key things to remember when programming drums are:

1) If you want the groove to sound realistic, program something a drummer can actually play (drummers only have 2 arms and 2 legs).

2) For recording, less is more. The drums should support the song (not draw attention away from the song)

3) 75% or recorded material (maybe 90%) is 4/4/ - with the kick playing either a whole note on 1, or 1/2 notes on 1 & 3 or 1/4 notes on 1,2,3 & 4.

4) In those same 75%-90% of songs the snare is playing 1/2 notes on 2 & 4.

5) The hihat normally plays 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 notes to create the flow of the groove

6) A ride cymbal can also be used for that hihat flow (often the hihat appears during the verse with the ride cymbal on the chorus)

7) Crash Cymbals are normally used to accent the 1, into or out of a change from a verse to a chorus, etc

8) Tom fills are use to lead into the crash cymbal (see 7)

9) Limit the number of tom fills (it is hard to program realisitic fills)

10) Limit the amount of cymbal sounds and keep them low in the mix) they are a color not a primary groove and electronic cymbals normally sound ppor)

11) Alter the velocity of beats to achieve a more realistic groove

12) Use pads/keyboards, etc to "play parts (from a human feel) vs. straight "programming

13) Limit use of quantising - to avoid an machine like feel

14) Disregard any rule anyone give you.

If you want to learn to program drums, I suggest you start out by trying to program the drums of an existing song, preferably one of wich you have a video or something so you can actually see the drummer play. Not only will you learn how to program them pretty realisticly, but you'll also get more insight in how the drums are played (that is if you're not a drummer).

Try to make it sound as similar as possible. That's how you'll fully learn to use your program.

Thanks! Those are certainly the kind of things that will help me. I've been spending more and more time listening to drum parts when I have the radio on. I've spent so many years thinking like a bass player and then like a guitarist that it's a quite a transition to learn to think like a drummer.

I found some old books that I had laying around which show drum patterns, which I will list below, however, if you can read basic music notation you could find any number of "beginner" drum instruction books that show various drum beats.

These are in grid format

1) Drum Machine Rhythm Dictionary by Sandy FeldStein (Alfred Publishing)
2) Drum Machine Patterns (Hal Leonard Publishing)

These are in standard staff format

1) Monster Book Of Rock Drumming by Joel Rothman (JR Publications)
2) Basic Drumming by Joel Rothman (JR Publications)

Back