Learning Guitar

Drummer4Life05

Say Something Smart!
Well, I've been lucky to enough to be given an old, crappy electric guitar for free. It's a little rusty, needed new strings, but I think it's okay for me to learn on. As you can see, I'm a drummer, so I know nothing about this stuff!
I have a bass guitar and I've been playing it for a couple of years. I've also taken some theory classes, so I have a basic understanding of chords, progressions and the like.
I've learned a few basic chords, but I'm looking for a good book or website that focuses on the beginning player.
Can anyone give me some suggestions on some good books or online reading?

Thanks,
Justin

some books

Most of the books I've read tend to leave just enough out to piss you off, so you wind up collecting a bunch to get the info you're looking for. Terry Burrows Total Guitar was decent from Barnes and Noble. The Guitar Grimoire Books are great for referencing scales and chords. Your best bet though is to probably go down to a bookstore and thumb through what they have and see how much you can learn from it. I don't think any one book is going to cut it for you though.

dbilz said:
Most of the books I've read tend to leave just enough out to piss you off

You get a positive rep point for that one.

Just put on Free Bird and you will find the penatonic scale very fast. the song is plenty long so you don't have to stop and start it over and loose the feeling. Also the song is predominently a slow progression so you can play slow..ughemm...at a beginners pace....and as you get going you can speed up and it will all fit perfectly.

I learned the basic notes and chords and then went on my own. Its probly not the best way to learn guitar but i live and breathe tablature. My skill is from the talented musicians i picked to baiscally "learn under" as long as you dont spend 5 years profecting your blink 182, even learning simple stuff like them is good for ya. A guitarist should always be looking to expand their playing style/form. Books were always a bore, find someone who has been playing guitar for awhile and have then teach you somthing easy, you grow alittle from every song you learn. :D

dbilz said:
Your best bet though is to probably go down to a bookstore and thumb through what they have and see how much you can learn from it. I don't think any one book is going to cut it for you though.
This is good advice. Everybody has a different learning style, and so you need to hunt around a bit to find a book or a system that speaks your language.

Bill Edwards' "Fretboard Logic" appeals to me because I'm one of those left-brainers who wants to know why things work the way they do. I think it's quite different from most of what's out there, so it's well worth a look. You can find the Amazon.com customer reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...2/sr=2-5/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_5/002-6542381-5759263

Back