learning bass fast?

gibsonguy09

i am going to try out for bass guiar in my school's jazz band because the guitar spot is taken adn i can't out-play him, hes awesome. The other kid th plays bass hasn't played that long but he knows all the notes on te fretboard and he knows how to read music really good/better than i can. i can play circles around him in how fast adn accurate. So what im asking is do oyu guys know a website wher the bass fretboard notes are? ( i know they ar the same as the first 4 strings on a 6-string)

I don't mean to be unkind, but "fast and accurate" doesn't mean a thing unless you know WHAT to play.

And if you can't figure out on your own what the notes on the fretboard are, you're in deep doodoo when it comes to reading music, or even following a chord chart. I mean, that implies that you don't know that Bb is a half-step up from A...

Believe me, I say this with love, because we were all there at some point. But you have some serious learnin' to do!

im a visual learner as well i like to see a "chart" . i can figure it all out. i can read music just fine im 3 chair on trumpet in band. i just would like a fret chart to make sure, you know re-assurance. but thanks though i know you didn't mean it as an insult

You're a trumpet player?? YOU DON'T HAVE THE RHYTHYM TO PLAY BASS!!! :)

Just kidding...I used to play the trumpet too.

A book I'm trying to get a hold of for my son, who wants to learn the bass also, is "Essestial Elements 2000" It comes w/ a book, CD & DVD. it's about $8. My son has the saxophone version, and that's worked for him so far (on the sax, that is)

I saw some other beginner bass books down at guitar center the other night...check something like that out.

Can you read bass clef? That is a definite must in middle school/high school jazz bands, because everything is written out. I hate to say it, but he may have an edge up on you if he can read bass clef and be solid even if you can "can play circles around him in how fast and accurate." Do you know any basic music theory? AGCurry is right, if you don't know that, you are pretty much screwed. Not to seem harsh or anything. :D

This reminds me of a joke.

A student signs up for bass lessons, so the teacher starts by teaching the notes on the fingerboard. The first week's lesson is the notes on the E string. The teacher tells the student to go practice those for a week, then they'll work on the next string. So a week later, the student returns, and they work on the notes on the A string. Again, the teacher says to go practice these, and they'll pick up the D string next week. "Sorry," the student replies. "I can't make it next week. I have a gig." :D

And I don't mean to pile on, but your sig shows you to be a guitar player. Do you know the notes on the bottom 4 strings or the guitar yet? If guitar is your current instrument, you might want to dig deeper there before picking up a new instrument. I know the experience of being in a band would be fruitful, but so might some woodshedding.

In any case, do remember to have fun with it.

Peace,

Thanks everyone, yes i know how to read bass clef, so i'll tinhk i'll be fine. Im not switching to bass i am just "picking it up" for jazz band. Once again thankss for the help

gibsonguy09 said:
im a visual learner as well i like to see a "chart" . i can figure it all out. i can read music just fine im 3 chair on trumpet in band. i just would like a fret chart to make sure, you know re-assurance. but thanks though i know you didn't mean it as an insult

You can make your own chart in 5 minutes. Get yourself a ruler, a piece of paper, and a pencil. Draw 4 rows of boxes, 24 boxes to a row. Write "E" to the left of the bottom row of boxes, "F" in the first box, "F#" in the second, "G" in the third, all the way up to the 24th box. Do the same for the other three rows starting at A, D, and G, respectively.

While you are doing that, you will be learning it as well. If you are too lazy to make your own chart, then you are probably too lazy to learn it, whatever the source. ;^)

Ha, I did exactly what you're doing when I was 15 or 16. Except I'm not even a guitar player, I'm a piano player who dabbles in guitar, and at the time I was third or second trumpet as well. Of course when the high school jazz band needs a bassist, "dabbles in guitar" is equivalent to jazz bass prodigy.

I love it though, the guitar spot fills up, and another bassist is born. I think you probably already know your notes decently from the guitar. My best tip is to take at least a lesson or two on how to actually pluck the strings. I wish I had.

Well, "fast" is relative. I mean, I've been studying the bass for about 30 years, and I'm still learning. But, compared to the age of human civilization, it's really not that long. ;)

Bassman Brad

ggunn said:
You can make your own chart in 5 minutes. Get yourself a ruler, a piece of paper, and a pencil. Draw 4 rows of boxes, 24 boxes to a row. Write "E" to the left of the bottom row of boxes, "F" in the first box, "F#" in the second, "G" in the third, all the way up to the 24th box. Do the same for the other three rows starting at A, D, and G, respectively.
Don't forget the enharmonic equivalents!

I believe in high school jazz band, the bassist gets their part written out, probably with chords above it so you can spice it up. If you can read the notes, the lines are rhythmically simple. There's no "quick" way to learn the notes on the fretboard. I recommend playing a song you know by tab and saying the note names out loud as you play it, or better yet, get a beginner bass book.

Back