Leakage problem

Zachyboy4

I Recorded a rapper a few weeks ago. when i recorded his performance i had my monitors off and i monitored him through head phones, as for him he wore my krk headphones which shouldnt of leaked at all into the mic. he was in my vocal booth/bathroom. haha

YET.. there is a generous amount of spill in the track. i suppose it had to of come from the head phones.. but just in case, i would like to know if there is anything else that might cause that effect on a track other then the obvious reasons, before i call him back and have him re-record it, this time without paying me.

could it be my mic? or Pre amp?

anything? thanks!

Can you explain that a bit more?? I don't really follow what you mean.

Are you sure you replied to the right post?

Were you monitoring with open or closed back headphones? Closed back shouldn't bleed enough to notice unless you really have the volume cranked.

He may have taken one side off to hear his voice better. A bit more of his voice in the 'phones and some reverb on it might have persuaded him to leave the 'phones on.

Besides all that, why on earth would you record vocals in a bathroom? Any "booth" the size of a bathroom is a horrible idea. But an actual bathroom is even worse....especially for rap vocals, which are usually relatively dry.

Besides all that, why on earth would you record vocals in a bathroom? Any "booth" the size of a bathroom is a horrible idea. But an actual bathroom is even worse....especially for rap vocals, which are usually relatively dry.
It can depend on the bathroom. The producer Joe Meek in the early 60s got quite an interesting sound recording in the bathroom and sometimes used it as a primitive echo chamber. Other studios tried to emulate his sound. I think he was one of the earliest 'home recordists' and he really used the home for all it was worth. Then he went nuts and murdered his landlady.

One thing to check is the routing used on your windows or soundcard mixer. On some it's possible to have the wave out feed looping back into the record side.

Bob

If its not too much bleed, I wouldnt label it as an issue. Just cut out/gate the places where he isnt singing. You prolly wont notice the difference when listening to the overall mix.

It can depend on the bathroom.

It really can. I'm currently on holiday in Switzerland and the bathroom in this flat has got the most awful sound. I've done vocals and guitar in the bathroom at home and it's not bad. But here......the sound is so bad, I don't even like to talk {a blessing to the family, no doubt}.

Funny how that can work.

Not a bathroom, but years ago we used to have a "magic staircase" at work (an old 4 story brick building). Many a vocal or acoustic guitair was tracked on the landing between the ground and first floor because it sounded so nice in there!

Back