leads

baz66

I have a Audioboxusb and zynyz mixer main out running to input one on the AB. I made a balanced Y lead with 2 mono plugs LR out to a single mono to the input. I'm not getting stereo.
Should the 1/4 plug be a stereo plug. I'll look up the wiring if it should. Sorry, very newbie at this.
Baz

I have a Audioboxusb and zynyz mixer main out running to input one on the AB. I made a balanced Y lead with 2 mono plugs LR out to a single mono to the input. I'm not getting stereo.
Should the 1/4 plug be a stereo plug. I'll look up the wiring if it should. Sorry, very newbie at this.
Baz

Input one on the audio box is not stereo, so you don't need a Y cable.
Those splitters aren't balanced, btw.
Balanced mono audio needs two conductors and shield.(TRS). Balanced stereo audio needs 4 conductors and shields. Ie.2xTRS.

You need two TRS cables from main out left to input 1, and main out right to input 2.

Wow that was quick!
So I've been steered wrong in the first place.
Let me give more info. I have a korg KB which I'm recording in mono. The korg L/R comes into 3/4 on the zenyz and the output to the Y lead I mentioned. I get pretty good recording with this setup (using studio one). I never thought of using both inputs on the AB so I'll make some leads and report back.
Baz

Wow that was quick!
So I've been steered wrong in the first place.
Let me give more info. I have a korg KB which I'm recording in mono. The korg L/R comes into 3/4 on the zenyz

That's stereo man. L+R = two mono channels = stereo.
Is the mixer necessary? You could just go straight from the korg to the interface.

Eiither way, you need a L cable and a R cable in each step of the chain.
Take on board the advice about signal levels though. I didn't realise your interface has no line inputs, which makes it less than suitable for the job.

That said, if it was working well before just make two TS cables and carry on.

Korg L---Xenyx 1---interface 1
Korg R---Xenyx 2---interface 2

into a stereo track in your DAW. Pan the mixer channels hard L+R otherwise they'll mix.

Yes Yes Yes. Only had some unbalanced leads (which are long). Hooked them up. A little hiss but working nicely. Is there a noise remover plug in that I can use?
baz

Yes Yes Yes. Only had some unbalanced leads (which are long). Hooked them up. A little hiss but working nicely. Is there a noise remover plug in that I can use?
baz

There are plenty of noise removal pplugs aorund. However, before you go down that path, see if you can get rid of the hiss first.

Without knowing too much about your set up and levels, it sounds to me like to much gain on interface and not enough output on keyboard.

Concentrating on the quality of sounds early in the process is much more satisfactory than remedial effects to fix things later.

I have the Audiobox. Just turn down the gain on the Audiobox all the way. Then turn up the mixer until you get the level you want. Works fine.

There are plenty of noise removal pplugs aorund. However, before you go down that path, see if you can get rid of the hiss first.

Without knowing too much about your set up and levels, it sounds to me like to much gain on interface and not enough output on keyboard.

Concentrating on the quality of sounds early in the process is much more satisfactory than remedial effects to fix things later.

Massive +1.
If you're getting hiss try to solve it rather than removing it.
Gain staging, as described, is very important. The fact that you're running into instrument level inputs might contribute.
I never really do that but I guess your gain should be pretty much zero?

Do you get the hiss with the mixer out of the chain? It'd be worth trying.

In the long term it might be worth trading for an interface with line inputs. Just a thought. :)

The hiss was because I listen to youtube (and others ) from the comp so I have the input to the rca plugs on the mixer.
This needs to be switched off when I use the sound gear.
I have made all the leads now and have very little background sound. None when I adjust properly.
For a small studio, I am happy with the results.
Steenamaroo. That might be down the track. I want to upgrade S1 to producer first. Have to watch the pennies.
One discovery I made is that the korg KB has out 1+2 and I can sent individual drums to tracks.Virtually, I can make my own drum kits. It does kick snare toms cymbals and percussion and sfx separately. What a mighty KB is the pa3x.
Having fun.
Baz

Just to inject a little pedantry Steen mate!
"That's stereo man. L+R = two mono channels = stereo."
The convention in the audio world is that "L+R" is the "sum" signal of a stereo pair and thus mono.
For instance, in FM stereo broadcasting the mono signal is sent as L+R and the difference signal, L-R in a rather clever way on a suppressed carrier at 38kHz.

A little bit of electronic, algebraic jiggery-pokery at the receiver results in the reconstruction of 2L and 2R stereo channels ("2" because they are twice the amplitude).

The "digitalophobes can now be disturbed by the fact that their "Good ole FM stereo" is in good part effectively sampled at 38k!

Dave.

Back