Layout suggestions?

kid_amnesiac

OK, so I've been trying to record some stuff in practice room, and I'm curious as to how much sound-proofing (and setting up panels, etc) would really benefit me.

Yes, I know that a sound-proofed room is always better than a un-soundproofed room, but just how much of a difference would it make? The room I play in is very small--so would I be better off looking for a larger space, or (with some work), could I make this space workable (see attached photo)?

Not sure if it matters, but I record through a Presonus firestudio, using sm57s and sm58s for drums/amp. I use a telecaster run through a vox ac30, and use a rode NT1A for vox (no isolation chamber!).

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 20
oh, I almost forgot. The extended area next to the washing machine on the diagram really isn't usable. And don't worry, we turn all that off we when play/record! :)

Well, you're in a pretty horrible monitoring spot...

Ignoring the washing machine area, you (your head) should be 4'7" from the (top) short wall. And it might...

Oh, here - This is the ultra-basics (with links to additional information):

http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Basic_Room_Setup.php

Otherwise -

Yes, I know that a sound-proofed room is always better than a un-soundproofed room,

Absolutely untrue. That said - there's a huge (HUGE) difference between "acoustically acceptable" and "sound proof" -- Actually, the two are at odds with each other. The more soundproof a room is, the more broadband trapping is required to absorb the excessive low end reflections. THAT said, (and I'm not assuming - just making a point) a lot of people think that "sound proofing" is "throwing foam up all over the walls" while sound proofing is almost exclusively construction-related (and let's also keep in mind that throwing foam up all over a room will make the low end problems worse - Not better).
but just how much of a difference would it make? The room I play in is very small--so would I be better off looking for a larger space, or (with some work), could I make this space workable (see attached photo)?
Well-controlled, a larger space is almost universally a better space. But with a good amount of broadband trapping, along with proper placement, you should be able to get decent results in that space. Yes, it's pretty darn small. But the washer-dryer area could actually be a saving grace to some extent. A few bags of R32 back there would allow for additional low end absorption right in the spot where additional low end will build up.

I would get the drums out of the corner, if possible. Even if they were against that back wall, it would be better. But getting them away from walls as much as possible would help.

Back