Laws for publishing music that uses commercially sampled instruments?

guitarplayr82

Does anybody know any information about publishing music that includes samples from commercial virtual instrument libraries? For example, say I wanted to publish a song that I used a piano software instrument from Logic in. I legally own my copy of Logic, so should I have any legal problems publishing a song with samples from Logic in it?

I know the laws for publishing music that uses samples from other currently published works, but is this case any different?

How would anyone be able to tell exactly which sample was used in a song and where it came from ?
Having said that, there's this guy that, blindfolded, can identify any rug and tell you where it's from.

You should be fine. Just go into the parameters and change a milli second of anything if your worried.

All logic stuff is royalty free. All VSTs, you're allowed to publish with, and I imagine you'd be able to do the same with sample libraries.

It's not so much a matter of abstract law, but the terms of the agreement (the license) that exists between you and the publisher, which are (to a large, though not unlimited, extent) whatever the publisher says they are.

If you are so inclined, you could read the EULA that came with your software, which describes the license you've purchased. The one for Logic Studio says, among other things:

Logic Studio EULA (this quotation being fair use) said:
"Except as otherwise indicated, you may use the Apple and third party audio file content (including, but not limited to, the Apple Loops, built-in
sound files, samples and impulse responses) (collectively the “Audio Content”), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a
royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your film, video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own
soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual Apple loops, audio files, sound settings, samples and impulse responses
may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound
files, sound effects or music beds.

If you're not inclined to page through this stuff, it's generally safe to assume that the publishers of software usually don't give you a license which prohibits you from using the software to do exactly what it's designed to do. It would make it pretty hard to sell the software if it were useless.

The chance that anything I record will ever get heard by anyone outside of this forum is so miniscule that I never worry that anyone with any legal clout will ever hear it.

Back