Lavalier condenser mics (for acoustic guitar)

riotshield

I sort of bought one on a whim tonight, an Audio-Technica with an attached power supply. It powers the mic via battery or phantom power, has XLR out, and has a bass roll-off. I got it used for about 1/2 new price, thinking I scored a bargain, even though the guitar clip was missing. Well, I checked the price of the guitar clip (clips the mic to the soundhole) and it's $40 :mad: Anyway, I digress...

What the general consensus on these types of mics? I heard they have a lot of self-noise, would this make it a live-only mic? Any big feedback problems? etc.

BTW, if anyone can think of a way to home-make one of these clips, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

I'll probably end up taping the mic to the pickguard, the moron I am.

Attachments

• 97720.jpg
    97720.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 319
I use DPA 4060 miniatures on acoustic guitars all the time. I made mounts out of wine corks. Cut a 1/4" thick slice off the end of the cork, then cut it in half - so you have 2 half-moon shaped pieces. Make a slit in the thickest part, deep enough to hold the cable right behind the capsule. Put sticky putty (like florists use) on the flat side of your half-moon mount, and stick it to the guitar. It holds quite securely, comes off easily, and won't scratch the finish - plus, you can put it anywhere you like.

Scott

Thanks for that suggestion. Is there a particular name to that type of putty? I'm afraid of taking some finish off the guitar by using the wrong kind

Back