Latin instrumental

chandlerhimself

This is an instrumental latin fusion song. I know it sounds bad already, but please give it a listen. I'm thinking of redoing some of the guitar parts. At first I wanted a really screaming guitar to play the melody, but after I couldn't get a good sound that way, I went the opposite direction and now I'm thinking it's a little too mellow. Also m ears are pretty fatigued, so I don't know how the mix sounds and this is my first time mixing/recording vocals. Any mixing/arrangement advice/criticisms?

I don't know much about Latin type music, but I think the lead could use a little bump up in the higher end of the eq, but it actually sounds really cool. Sounds like a track that would be in Guitar Hero haha

I think you're right about the main tone. I usually like to cut my treble down to get a smoother tone. I used a really bright guitar, so I thought I'd cut a little more, but I think I went a little too far. I'll either redo it, or if I get too lazy just try to eq it.

Those arpeggios are really sweet and overall the tune sounds good to me. It does however sound a bit too dampened, it needs more presence.

ok I enjoyed the piece. the guitar playing is sweet. but its not like any latin music I'm familiar with. When I listen to this I hear a shredder style playing over a latinish beat. The lead is closer to style after the drum break. still a good job. I liked the vocals sitting low in the mix, adding favor but not overpowering, however I would not use them in the parts where the guitar is very busy.

@dainbramage - Thanks for the advice. I'll rerecord the melody if I have time and I'll try to mix it a little brighter overall.

@jasgav - Thank you for the comments. I actually envisioned it as a latinish fusion piece, but I thought latin jazz fusion instrumental wasn't a good title for a thread. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind when I remix the song.

Hey chandler, I had a listen. The mix sounds good and even to me - the main lead line does kind of sound dampened, but I think it is just on the right side of mellow.

In terms of arrangement, I felt I'd heard the main theme of the song once too often by the end of it, though it's a decent melody. I wasn't mad keen on the fifth section of the song (if you divide it into six parts on the soundcloud image), as I felt it descended a little too much into fret wankery. I dunno, I just don't really like solos very much/often, so please feel free to disregard on grounds of personal taste. Mix overall sounds good man.

Back