Latest musical doodle.

mattamatta

Here's something I've been working on tonight...

edit: new link:
http://www.angelfire.com/emo/forkperiod/newolddrumsjam.html

Started out as just fiddling with some drums, and I added some other parts.

The drums are actually from a different song, and I basically wrote a whole new song on top of the drum tracks.

This was mixed through headphones, so the imaging isn't quite right for speakers, but that's how it is right now. I might post another version when I redo it on "monitors".

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

For anyone interested (I know I like to check out gear used sometimes):

- Tascam US-428
- Recorded and mixed in cubase sx 1.0
TC Native Bundle, Amplitube, and a variety of free stuff (simulanalog amp sim, blockfish, SIR, etc)
- Old epiphone les paul knockoff, kinda whack these days
- Crap squier p-bass
(all guitar and bass direct through amplitube or simulanaloc jc900)

Drums are from an old session, tracked in my kitchen.
Entry-level Sunlite kit, all cymbals replaced with good sabians except hats.

Mic'd with a CAD KBM412 on kick, and mono MXL990 overhead, duplicate run through SIR reverb and used as a room sound in the mix along with the normal sounding overhead. Also some borrowed nady's (the low end 3 pack) on toms, didn't use them at first, but the latest incarnation of this mix has em.

Last edited:
I get this message;

"Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire. "

Aha.... thanks, I'll put it up as a link on a page and update the post.

edit: updated. I Think it works now.

Last edited:
Gonna give this just a little bump, looking for at least a few comments =)

Most of what I was focusing on for most of the mixing of this was really trying harder than I usually have to arrange each part into it's place in the eq spectrum. Also, I tried to make it fairly balanced, using a frequency analyzer and compairing to both the frequency analyzer data and sound of some reference mixes I thought it fairly comparable to.

Any comments on anything like that, or how it translates onto your system, or really anything at all would be much appreciated :cool:

Hey, man. Overall this sounds really good. Do yourself and everyone elses ears a favor though. PLEASE, pull about 4db or so out of about the 3-4khx region on the lead guitar. It stiiiinggs. lol. Was hurting my ears a good bit in headphones. Drums sound good, IMHO, the bass drum could stand to maybe come up a couple db. The toms sound really good considering what mics you used :cool: . The other guitars and the bass sound really good, and fit the context of the song. But that lead guitar needs to be tamed in the high mids. If the eq centering doesnt work, or pulls too much presence out, you can try a multiband compressor, and try to limit the high mids some. Hope this helps. Good song, btw. Sounds like it could be from a movie soundtrack. lol.

Thanks for the comments. I agree with the things you suggested, the lead tone kinda bugs me too, I can tweak the presence and high on the amp model, it's just a simulanalog plugin.

I did end up with the kick a little bit weaker than I'd had it at one point.

I ran the toms through psp mixsaturator on a contour setting and then compressed em... I find sometimes this has a nice full resonance to it that sorta resembles a properly tuned tom, hehe.

btw, what kind of headphones are you listening on? I'm on some lower end akg's, and while the lead is a bit buzzy sounding, it's not as shrill as it seems it is on your end, so it looks like I've found a new area to be careful of on my system.... didn't come out too heavily on my "monitors" (still using some altec computer speakers, but after a new recording system monitors are my next planned purchase)

Back