latency

slinky

Hello everyone,
I have been away for a while. But I`m back and with some new equipment and trying to get back in to things - so,,,
I have a yamaha sw1000xg and also a creative audigy and windows xp and cubase sx. Now up till now I have managed to get to the point where I can record an audio (guitar) track over some midi tracks and avoid latency by not monitoring the guitar as I play it - but how can I monitor the guitar in real time without latency? :)

Well if you go a Proper Audio recording sound card then your Latency problems will dissapear...Audigy cards are not made for recording audio so they have no real system in place for compensateing for latency were a proper recording sound card will have direct hardware monitoring which reduces Latency so it is not noticeable....

You can get a proper recording sound card for as low as $99 with a Audiophile 24/96 or a EMU-0404 which are PCI cards and be able to record more than one instrument at a time or in stereo.....

A Better and longer lasting option would be to invest in a Firewire audio interface but they are more expensive and don"t get a USB one as they are problematic....

You can a also try adjusting the audio buffer in your recording software to get lower latency....

Cheers

Back