Latency with Impulse Reverb plugin

pennylink

I'm trying out the Voxengo Pristine Space impulse reverb demo and need to come to grips with the latency.

I use a Presonus Firebox firewire 400 soundcard/interface with Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop (1.86GHz Centrino Pentium M, 1GB RAM, Windows XP SP2, internal 7200rpm hard drive running the operating system and external 7200rpm firewire 800 hard drive for audio data), Sonar 2.2 sequencer.

During setup, the soundcard figured its optimum latency to be 10 ms (recording 24 bit, 44.1 kHz). I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but in any case the latency settings in the reverb plugin are listed in samples.
Question 1: How do samples compare to milliseconds?

The latency options in the plugin are 64 samples, 128, 256, etc. all the way to 32768.
Question 2: Is it just a matter of trying out the various options to see which works best, or is there a way to figure out the optimum setting?

Question 3: Is there another or better way to work around the latency issues with IR plugins in Sonar 2?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Due to the various differences in each program and computer hardware setup you should just start trying the various buffer settings and see what works best for you. As a rule... as low as your system can handle for recording and higher for playback only.

Back