Latency with digital stuff

wyr2hs

I have massivly noticible Latency.

"if you are recording digitally, the latency is certainly being introduced somewhere in the recording chain, not the monitoring chain. Even if you have one digital device in the chain, you may be getting latency from it - especially if it is something like a compressor with a look-ahead function." Qouted from littledog

So what can i do about it. I have a Compressor i dont know what if its digital, its a phonic pc3000 or somthing. i also go into and out of a digi 001. Would a time peice do the trick, i dont know what that is.

CAN ANY ONE HELP? its driving me crazy
thank you

Latency can be a weird concept to grasp sometimes because it depends on what a signal is latent to in comparison to something else.

Can you be more specific about the latency? You mention an external compressor. Are you mixing the compressed sound with the original track or is it just that the timing is off now? Is it a matter of when you track you hear a delayed signal after you sing or play?

Audible latency while recording is usually simple to get around, but it can be tricky to find the source of it.

For starters...

Do you get that latency when you DON'T use the compressor? Obviously, if you don't the latency is is the compressor and I'm not sure there is much to be done except not use the compressor.

If not, the latency is in your computer or software somewhere.

What recording software are you using?
What soundcard?
Are you recording with plug-ins active on the track?

Look for something like "Low Latency Monioring" settings in your software and hardware settings. Usually there is some settings (depending on your setup) that lets audio through as fast as it can.

Take care,
Chris

wyr2hs said:
I have massivly noticible Latency.

"if you are recording digitally, the latency is certainly being introduced somewhere in the recording chain, not the monitoring chain. Even if you have one digital device in the chain, you may be getting latency from it - especially if it is something like a compressor with a look-ahead function." Qouted from littledog

So what can i do about it. I have a Compressor i dont know what if its digital, its a phonic pc3000 or somthing. i also go into and out of a digi 001. Would a time peice do the trick, i dont know what that is.

CAN ANY ONE HELP? its driving me crazy
thank you
I answered you here...

Back