latency with digital stuff, my signal chain

wyr2hs

Hears my problem when im playing and listening through headphones i hear my voice, then i hear it in the headphones. This throws the timing off. So what can i do about? i run all my signals through a mixer then i take the inserts into a patchbay, then to a micpre then to a compressor then in to the digi 001, out of the 001 in to the mixer then to the aux sends to a headphone amp.
Can anyone help

Heres my signal path
Instrument to a direct box to 24in 4 out snake or mic then to snake, into a mackie mixer- channel inserts into a patch bay- depending on how many instruments im recording at a time the signal goes to a rolls tube mic pre then to a phonic PCL 3200 compressor, then into a digi 001 input, then mounitering it comes out of a digi 001 output into a mixer channel and the aux sends send it through the snake into a head phone amp via mic chords, and then in to head phones.
Now can any one help? it would be much appriciated

I don't see anywhere in there for a latency issue (unless the digi001 doesn't compensate for latency on playback - which would be dumb...!)

I do see an issue with an unnecessarily cluttered signal path for recording, but that would only muck up the sound, not cause latency... (the Phonic compressor is analog, so there's no latency issue there....)

But anyways, why aren't you monitoring your tracking signals directly off the mixer, instead of running the whole mess thru the Digi and monitoring the post-recorded sound.......

As a matter of fact - that's probably your latency right there ... there's latency as your track is getting recorded, but your monitoring after it comes back from the Digi.........

As you overdub, monitor those overdubs signals from the mixer itself.........

Pick a preamp any preamp, probably the mackie over the rolls, and run that and only that straight into your Digi 001. No patchbay, no extra preamp, no compressor. Just go straight in. That won't help latency but it should sound much better.

Bear is right about your latency. Monitor directly off the mixer and don't monitor live tracks after the computer.

Back