Latency (Reason4).

NLAlston

Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can do away with the latency I am getting with Reason4?

I have a relatively new computer, which is a Gateway quad-core, 64-Bit system - outfitted with 8Gigs of RAM. The controller I am using is the E-MU XBoard49. I have no such luxury as an audio interface, but should one be required in order for me to obtain a latency-free workflow? If so, which is the absolute cheapest (money is tight, right now) that I could get away with?

Advanced thanks.

Upon reading a few other posts, it appears that an Audio Interface would indeed be the answer to my problem. Now, I remember some time time ago, having my MotifXS integrated with my computer, via its mLAN16e2 expansion card. That was supposed to be a good one and, from all accounts, was supposed to totally do away with any issues with latency. I found, however, that this (in my case, anyway) was not true. Prior to that, I had also bought a Firewire interface, but (for some reason) could not get that unit to work properly at all. So, consequently, that one was returned to the store.

I am now to be collaborating with my brother, with some Reason projects, and I do wish to be able to work with the RMS files. So, what might be the least inexpensive box that I could try?

Thanks Jim. I will gather that information in just a moment. It does appear, however, that there are some 'zero-latency' interfaces which are indeed worth their transistors, and are (I'm told) just what I need. Now, it is about finding the cheapest unit that will afford just what it is I need. Maybe there will be something within your provided link which will steer me in the right direction for that.

Once again, thanks.

Back