latency problems

apodos

Just recorded a song in sonar 8.5 producer and used many soft synths with midi controller and things went great.

Now recording second song and I suspect I changed some audio settings and created the following problem and can't figure what I did:
When I open any synth(true piano, session drummer, or any other...) and play, sound works fine. No latency. Then, when I press play on the project I'm working on, the problem arises. After having pressed play, the soft synth plays AND records with about a 1/2 second latency. Then, when I turn audio engine off and then on again, the latency is gone.

If I record midi data into a track it records with latency and then I drag/drop it back so it fits the timing of my song...

I have an echo audiofire 2 interface and windows 7.
Everything else seems to work fine.

Check to make sure you're still using the proper ASIO driver
and the buffer (latency) settings are still at the proper setting.

clock source

in doing some reading in the echo audiofire manual, i wonder whether this is a clock source synchronization issue between sonar and audiofire related specifically to the midi signal?

Uh... sound travels at 1foot per ms, so 384ms would be over a football-field length,
and thats why you have a huge delay.

You want that down BELOW 30ms, preferably 10-25ms or so
(cranking it down any further than that only stresses your cpu and
in double-blind tests no average human can hear latencies below 10-20ms....
watch now as everyone jumps in but I say AVERAGE human guys....)

spoke with cakewalk rep and solved the problem

latency was occurring because CPU was getting overloaded when multiple effects patches were engaged

when I freeze the tracks which have open effects, problem disappears

Back