Latency issue or something?

candiholic

When I first started covering songs and such, I recorded vocals in Audacity. Sick of the annoying latency issues that, at the time, the program gave no options for fixing, I upgraded to Adobe Audition 1.5.

My latency issues went away - when I recorded in multitrack view, everything lined up perfectly in sync - however, it for some reason didn't like me using VST plug ins. So I upgraded to Adobe Audition 3.0 (which I had had for a short time before using 1.5, but had never used for recording vocals, only adding effects)

However...my vocals are ALWAYS offtime from the music when I record them in 3.0 (I'm not sure the exact amount of delay, but I'd say the vocals end up the length of about 2/3rds of a syllable off from the music) and constantly dragging the lines back and forth trying to get them back on time (making them too early, then not early enough, then too early again... annoying) is just annoying and time consuming. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

What SOUNDCARD are you using.

Latency has nothing to do with your sequencer; it's purely a function of the delay in processing by your soundcard and its drivers (adjustable by the buffer settings and the ASIO control panel).

Here's a good guide and tested suggestions that WORK: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

(you'll want to bookmark and read through all of Tweak's Guide while you're there...)

Another good article: Choosing an audio interface - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/audiointerfaces.htm

Sorry, I don't know much about audio hard/software :( I guess I misunderstood the definition of latency. I'm just using my computer's built in soundcard, which I think is~ IDT High Definition Audio Codec (assuming I'm looking at the right thing in my device manager...)

I messed with the latency settings on the beta version of audacity that I downloaded today, and I no longer have any delay in there, but I would rather record in Audition than Audacity.

built-in soundcards may say "Hi-Definition", but they have 40cents worth of chips and poor high-latency drivers. They are made for cheap, cheap, cheap beeps and boops.

See my previous post and go look at the REAL asio-driver'ed soundcards on Tweak's Guide.

Back