Last attempt..

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
Okay.. I don't know if it's just me or if my drums suck, but every time I try to tune my toms, unless I tune them super-sloppy low, (I mean like 1-2 turns at MOST) they make a 'ping' type sound.. especially on the small 8" tom and even low the smaller drums have no sustain what so ever. I want my drums to sound like drums, not like pots and pans...
I know my set is cheap, but it should sound better than my mothers kitchenware. It's a pacific CX (maple) toms are 8/10/12/14/16 22" kick 14" snare. Toms have clear pinstripes on the batter, the 8/10/12 have stock pacific heads and the 14/16 have clear ambassador for resonants.. What am I doing wrong?

If I can't get them to sound good by the end of the week I'm burning them in my back yard. :mad:

What do you mean by 1-2 turns...one or two full turns of the key per tension rod??? Two full turns is really tight for a tom, which is why you're getting nothing but 'ping'. The drums are choking...especially with Pinstripes.

From finger tight...try something around 1/2-turn to 3/4-turn per rod on the batter head, with oh...3/4 to 1 turn per rod on the bottom. You'll have to tweak them to suit the drum of course, but I think you'll find this is closer to the appropriate tension than 2 full turns of the key.

When tweaking, keep in mind that a seemingly insignificant nudge of the key can make a huge difference, so go easy.

sirslurpee said:
It's a pacific CX (maple) toms are 8/10/12/14/16 22" kick 14" snare. Toms have clear pinstripes on the batter, the 8/10/12 have stock pacific heads and the 14/16 have clear ambassador for resonants.. What am I doing wrong?

I have the same kit. I just put evans G2's on the batters and G1's on the resonants. Best thing I ever did. They sound incredible!

Do not underestimate the importance of the resonant side heads on your toms.

ez_willis said:
I have the same kit. I just put evans G2's on the batters and G1's on the resonants. Best thing I ever did. They sound incredible!

Do not underestimate the importance of the resonant side heads on your toms.

Listen to that. Excellent advice.

I prefer the Coated G2's on my toms, but that may make or break the sound of a particular shell.

well.. I guess I can get new heads.. should be in a week or two though.. I was thinking coated G1's on top and clear genera resonant (or the resonant glass I don't know which)

For some reason I have this idea that single-ply heads are going to be more open and choke less easily... am I wrong on this?

sirslurpee said:
well.. I guess I can get new heads.. should be in a week or two though.. I was thinking coated G1's on top and clear genera resonant (or the resonant glass I don't know which)

For some reason I have this idea that single-ply heads are going to be more open and choke less easily... am I wrong on this?

I put pinstripes on my kit.

I think the G2's are just a 2-Ply G1, so if you are a hard hitter they won't break in a week.

I could be wrong, I'm not a drummer, but I know what good drums sound like.

I should also mention that when I had the old heads off, a put a thin coat of bee's wax around the bearing edges. I have to think that helped.

ez_willis said:
I should also mention that when I had the old heads off, a put a thin coat of bee's wax around the bearing edges. I have to think that helped.

I think I've read that before.. I might try it.. where do you get bee's wax from though?

"But hey, it's okay.. it's rock, right?!" hahahahaha

awww mann.. that guy is boooooorrrriiinnngggg

haha jk Thanks for the link! :D

Last edited:
yeah dude your kit should sound good, i have the PDP FS kit and the toms have plenty of sustain to them. awesome sound. not on the stock heads though, they suck. ;)

although i did get a pretty nice sound out of the stock snare heads, but now i'm using the Evans powercenter reverse dot, with great results. :)

sirslurpee said:
FS is birch though, right?

yeah but either way, your drum kit should sound pretty damn nice. i dunno if mine is even all birch, it probably has some filler in the middle plies or something. same shit :p

well it probably is the heads then.. I'm gonna start fresh and get all new ones.. soon as I get my next paycheck and my tax return back... so probably this weekend.. if it all works out :)

MadAudio said:
I've been a Pinstripe addict for years and years. Even my snare gets a coated one.

Dude I KNOW your kit sounds good.. what kind of resonant heads are you using and what kind of kit/shell construction is it?

sirslurpee said:
Dude I KNOW your kit sounds good.. what kind of resonant heads are you using and what kind of kit/shell construction is it?
My rack toms are melodic - no resonant heads at all. My floor tom isn't but I've had the bottom head off for ages anyway. My kit is a Gretsch that I've had since 1986. Not really sure of the wood or ply count, though.

Ah that's cool.. I remember when I first started playing my dad's vista lites were like that.. They sound cool.. I have never tried recording like that though..

Back