LaptopPop's update is up

Holy Shit!!! Man, I've been restoring an out-building on my property (it's the settler's cape and it pre-dates the big residence which is circa 1773), and was thinking I'd put a pseudo-studio out there... ...but after checking out some of the work you madmen have tackled... ...heck, all I can say is we got some motivated MoFos on this board! Way to go guys! Inspiring to say the least:)

Pops,
Looking good!!!
Uhh ...what about the windows? Can you share what treatment
you are considering?

T

Thanks for the comments! Its a lot of work, but if the room sounds good when I'm done it will all be worth it.

For the windows, I'm making boxes to cover them. A frame of 2x6 lumber cut down to 4" wide, covered with 3/4" plywood, and sealed with a bunch of caulking. The inside of the box is lined with 1" of sound absorbing rigid fiberglass (Owens-Corning 703) covered in muslin, to keep the box from resonating too much. The edges of the box against the wall are lined with weatherstripping.

I'm covering the entire window, including the window blinds. From the outside of the house, it will look totally normal, like a window with the blinds pulled. From the inside, its a bit of a cave, but I won't have any freeway noise.

I was planning on covering the window boxes with another layer of wallboard, but the plywood is already so heavy that these boxes are a BEAR to deal with. Each box is about 68" square - and that's a lot of weight. I'm lucky - all my walls are covered with 3/4" plywood, so I have no problem finding wood to screw into to hold the boxes against the wall.

I've put 2x4 strips nailed and screwed into the wall at the bottom of each window. I'll rest each of the boxes on their strip, and hold them to the wall using L brackets screwed into the wall.

-lee-

Back