laptop?

lookingforcool

hey all...

i'm considering the purchase of a laptop today for a portable recording option. but i'm having trouble finding a good soundcard. i know i can get the echo layla24, and i'll probably do it, but i was wondering if there were any others with at least six inputs out there?

any recommendations, or is the layla pretty much it? i have no problem with the layla in general, just like to make sure i know my options.

or is the layla bad news? can i hook the layla up to my home pc, too?

thanks in advance,
.pete.

You can buy the Layla desktop system, then get the laptop adapter to use on the notebook. I like Echo stuff, never gone wrong with it.

i was thinking about doing that, but it's like 200 bucks for that adaptor, so i think i'm just gonna buy the laptop version. i'm not gonna be using the home pc that much anyway.

so question two is: is a 2 gighz pentium with 512 megs of ram enough to make cool edit pro happy?

question three is: would sonarxl 2.0 run any more efficiently with the layla 24 and the aforementioned laptop?

thanks,

.pete.

i'm running a 1.2ghz Dell Inspiron 8100 with 512mb sdram and only 1 hard drive and i don't have any problems at all.

i use it with the tascam us-428 (4ins/2outs) USB.

lookingforcool said:
i was thinking about doing that, but it's like 200 bucks for that adaptor, so i think i'm just gonna buy the laptop version. i'm not gonna be using the home pc that much anyway.

so question two is: is a 2 gighz pentium with 512 megs of ram enough to make cool edit pro happy?

question three is: would sonarxl 2.0 run any more efficiently with the layla 24 and the aforementioned laptop?

thanks,

.pete.

A 2Ghz, hell yeah. I don't see you having too much of a problem. I would recommend an external FW drive at some point though, because the internal HD will choke on too many tracks, since laptop drives are slower than desktop.

Nuendo Audiolink Multiset, with the "mobile" PCMCIA.
(if you didnt noticed, all Nuendo soundcard are made by RME)

http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/products/hardware/audiolink96/multiset/index.php?sid=0

http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/products/hardware/audiolink96/mobile/index.php?sid=0

I owned: Delta 1010/Gina24/Mona24 --- and now I have the Nuendo Multiset, and it works sooooooooo fine. The internal soundcard mixer is very well done. You can also get a separate headphone mix right from the headphone output on the soundcard.

wow, the description of that things sounds killer, and the box looks real pretty-like, but there's only one picture and it's from far away. maybe i'll run over to my local dealer and take a look later today.

thanks for the heads up. seems like a rare unit, but i'll find one and see what i think.

.pete.

ps - thanks to all the others, too. the plan as of now is to buy the laptop when the store opens today. spend the weekend making it work for my non-music stuff (i have some really dumb proprietary software for work.) then i'll buy an external firewire drive, as the internal is clocking 4200. then i'll get the extra 512 meg ram card and shove that in. then i'll be smiling, i think.

thanks!!

The steinberg card is a rebranded RME card (which is what Kryogh said) - the RME might be easier to find, but I believe for some reason the pcmcia cards are scarce at the moment in the US. I have the RME multiface. Have run it with an ibm piii 750 and now an HP 1.7 p4. Using sonar. No problems to report. The thing is great, rock solid. Had it about 8 months now. Only crashed 1x on me.

I hav recorded as many as 8 tracks at time. And playback up to 40 or so. If your tracks are more dense than that, the harddrive will be your limitation. YMMV depending on latency settings.

I couldn't be happier. Working on a laptop is great. For example, I am currently living in an empty NYC apt. b/c I am relocation on Saturday to VA. I have NOTHING in the apt. and am flying on saturday. With my silvertone guitar, 2 mics, a preamp, headphones, the RME and my laptop I have a totally portable (and fly-able) recording system. I have used this set up alot as I travel fairly often. It is also good for field recording, or if you want to record in another room of the house, etc.

The price of the Digitech Vxpocket V2 has dropped to $199 at Musician's Friend and zZounds - AFAIK this is the cheapest solution by far for a non-PCI interface.

EDIT: Oops, forgot it had only 2 inputs

well, now i'm posting from my new laptop.
lovin it!!

thanks for the advice from all.

unfortunately, the nuendo is a bit out of my price range. so i guess i'm gonna have to get the layla still.

has anyone had much experience with the layla on a laptop? any advice (any problems using it with xp?)

thanks again!

.pete.

Back