Laptop upgrade help

darren2k

Just want to know if my laptop is up to the job to run Ableton Live - EZ drummer 2 - and other VTS software -
will be included Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Laptop Specs are
- intel core ™ i5-5200u cpu @ 2.20GHz .. - RAM: 12.0gb -- Operating system 64-bit
HD samsung SSD 850 E VO 500GB with 358GB of Free space left .
Just wondering If I need to upgrade? and where to upgrade?

Plenty of RAM and HD space left. Sometimes running a lot of VSTis at the same time (or CPU-hungy VSTs like reverbs) can bg thngs down, in whihc case you freeze/bounce/render some of the VSTi tracks.

I run Ableton on a probably equal too or less than system. Here is where you are going to run into trouble with Ableton. The instruments (and effects) that come with it can be very CPU intensive and will peak out the CPU real quick. If you see this happening, freeze the track (or render it and bring it back in and disable the original). If you use certain plug ins and too many of them, that will cause a problem. Learn how to use sends and returns so that one plug in can work for many (reverb is the main one that comes to mind but there are others).

Your computer looks pretty healthy, but Ableton can be a hog with resources with their plugins. Just learn how to take advantage of the many tools.

Yeah, those specs look pretty solid to me too. Only thing I might be concerned about mjb addressed.

i5 is a solid processor, but if you're running a TON of VSTi's, then you might get your CPU loaded down a bit. If that happens though, you can always freeze/render your tracks to clear up some CPU power.

Back