laptop that records well; what else do i need?

drumminsnowman

Alright, well I've got $1600 dollars.. and ive been recording onto my desktop for years now, and its been preeetty good.
so basically, i dont really know much about laptop recording.
what i am wondering is: are these 24bit usb firewire audio interfaces pretty good? cause, honestly all i would need is a really powerful laptop/ and a firewire audio interface with like... 2 mic inputs, and 2 1/4" stereo inputs and i would be set!

are there any laptops packaged with this said construction.
AND, is usb recording a bad idea? i have never done it that way.
AND, and.. lol... whats a good firewire audio interface for around... $200-300?

so anyone with experience with this. i will love you forever if you help me :)

One thing you need to note on that unit...you only get 2 in's at a time...as far as guitar/mic/bass etc...the other 2 inputs are from the digital ins (spdif)...basically, I'm just saying, don't buy it if you're wanting to mic up two guitars and two vocalist and record simultaneously...without some out board equipment, it isn't going to happen.

I own the 410 and use it with M-Powered Protools. It suits my needs well for now.

You may want to look at the Presonus Firebox as well. It has some advantages over the 410, ie, 4 simlutaneous analog ins, they're chainable (meaning you can add another one later on for 8 in's). Downsides, only one head phone out and you can't use Protools. The latter may not be a downside to you, it is to me.

well from the looks of the thing, it shows two 1/4" inputs.. so, those i would use to connect my td-6 roland e-drums... and i never record more than one guitar at a time.. or record vocals and guitar at the same time.

so for me, its ideal. because i can record drums and guitar at the same time..

as far as soundproofing, i should dothat. but, my recordings have gone fairly well, and im going to college soon... so yah, there aint gonna be much sound proofing there.

and i record pretty much everything direct anyways...so its all good

if you are wondering what my recordings sound like:

thanks all

Back