Laptop Suggestions....

jon_doe_

Hi, I'm an up and coming singer that plans to do a lot of home recording really soon. I've got the money to get what I need, but I really want someone elses outlook on my situation. I want a powerful laptop, with a good amount of RAM and at least 8 gigs of sustained memory, but at the same time I don't want to be let down by the performance of the laptop. I plan on recording so many tracks, running those same tracks while recording, plus editing programs, etc. I just don't want to "waste" the money on a Mac, when I can get just as much or more from another brand. Please give input, thanks.

FYI, I don't have any hardcopy plans for the interface, or recording/mixing/mastering software, it's really going to revolve around the laptop choice.

I just bought a refurbished HP dv6t-7000 (with HP refurb warranty) for $795 on ebay. It's an amazing laptop -- more powerful than the two quad-core desktops I use for composing, recording and mixing music (I use, primarily, Sonar X2, Finale, and Audition 3.0 and CS6). It's an Intel i7 machine, 2.3 GHz hyper-threaded CPU that scales up to 3.1 GHz as the load requires. BluTooth, WiFi (b/g/n) and WiDi. It has a 15" 1920 x 1080 screen, lighted keyboard (very handy for use in a dark room), and came with 8 gig of RAM and a 9-cell battery good for around 6 hours. I also picked up a 6-cell battery because I travel on planes a lot. I dropped another $120 on RAM and expanded it to its maximum of 16 gig. It had a reasonably fast 750 gig hard drive, but I replaced it with a 512 gig SSD, which improves its battery life and makes it really speedy. It will support an additional mSSD, but I haven't bothered to put one in -- some people use it for caching the HD. It has a full keyboard, including a separate numeric keypad. It's got 3 USB 3.0 ports and 1 USB 2.0 port, VGA and HDMI jacks, and a slot for SDHC cards. No 1394/Firewire port, though, if you're planning on use a Firewire interface. It came with a DVD R/W, but I'm replacing it with a Blu-Ray R/W. It has Beats audio, but I consider that fluff. Its built-in speakers do sound less tinny than a usual laptop, and it can go lots louder, but when I'm doing music with it I use headphones. I don't play computer games, but it is, apparently, a good machine for a gamer -- it has two graphics cards and switches intelligently between them when there are heavy graphics demands. I have used it on the road to play HD movies by connecting it to the hotel's LCD television via HDMI, and to watch my Slingbox. Total weight is around 5 lbs.

This machine is lightning fast and runs all of my music software (and everything else, including Adobe Premiere CS4) with ease. I use an mAudio Fast Track Ultra with it (I use a Fast Track Ultra and a Fast Track Ultra 8r on my two desktops) and a Korg nanoKontrol2 control surface. I use it for music primarily for recording at my writing partner's house -- I'll transfer an Audition-based project to it and record vocals through the Fast Track Ultra, then transfer the vocal tracks back to my mixing machine when I get home. It's over-powered for that purpose, but has the capability of doing anything I can do with my home machines with ease. It's also pretty rugged. I used to have Sony VAIO laptops, but they always wound up falling apart, were rather flimsy and, frequently, had fit-and-finish issues. The HP feels and looks solid. This is, far and away, the best machine I've ever owned (and I've owned many laptops since 1989).

Right now, I am seeing as a generic spec (in other words, you don't want to be a an expert.) a gaming system spec is probably the best way to go. With that said, don't forget to add a DAC to that and that should cover anything you could throw at it as games still tend to be the most cutting edge technology.

One way is you could probably want to review would be around the graphics as it is not as intense on DAW software. So you could get a laptop with gaming specs and a reduced graphics requirements. That would reduce cost as well. An example would be a i7 chip, 16Gb ram, SDD drive (make sure if it is a traditional HD that it is 7200 RPM) and maybe a lower spec graphics card 1Gb or an older card). You will be able to determine this by comparing specs of various gaming rigs.

Hope this helps.

I upgraded my sound laptop last November and, after a ton of research, ended up with a Lenovo i7. The choice mainly came down to the fact that, within reason, I was able to customise the computer--more RAM, only a basic video card, Cardbus slot to do Firewire which I needed, choice of HDD and SSD sizes, etc. etc.

By no means the cheapest I looked at but very specific to my needs and so far, so good.

Back