Laptop soundcard suggestions?

noodles2k5

I'm trying to decide which card I should get. Here's my criteria:
-Must work with Powerbook G4 / Mac OS X (USB, Firewire, PCMCIA)
-Would like to record multiple inputs at once as separate tracks (not sure if this is possible)
-24-bit/96kHz
-Tiny budget

I already have a mixer (Behringer MX802A) with plenty of inputs. These are my options if I want to do a direct line-in.
Creative Audigy 2 NX External (USB)
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Notebook (PCMCIA)
Creative SB Live! 24-bit External (USB)
Echo Indigo IO (PCMCIA)
M-Audio Transit (USB)
I'm not really a fan of Creative's products, but they're really inexpensive compared to the Echo card. And it appears to have the exact same functions. I like M-Audio... but I hear a lot of people complain about it.

I've been looking at Firewire interfaces too. Those usually have too little (one or two) to too many (10+) inputs. A lot of them come with some form of onboard mixing, which makes my analog mixer useless. That being said, makes me wonder what advantage a Firewire interface would have... (maybe the multitrack recording thing I mentioned at the top?)

The Echo would be the pick of that bunch.
USB doesn't have the bandwidth to support multichannel 24/96 and monitoring.

PCMCIA is a more robust interface

From what I've read, FireWire is more stable for recording multiple simultaneous tracks (vs. USB). I use USB for 2-track stereo recordings, and it works great for me. If you need more, though, look into FireWire. The advantage over PCMCIA is that you can also connect them to a desktop at any time (if you have both).

Alright, no USB for me. I didn't see anything impressive besides the Edirol UA-1000 USB 2.0, which is way out of my budget.

Echo Layla24 with the cardbus adapter costs too much. For that price, I could just get a Presonus Firepod.

The new Emu Cardbus doesn't support Mac. :(

Sticking to the Firewire idea, I like the looks of these:
Presonus Firestation
MOTU 828MK1 (I can't find any info on this model since the MKII is out)
Both of these are about $300-$400 used, which is perfect. They only have 2 pre-amps, which is acceptable by my standards. I hear software is a pain, but it should be a breeze for me. Any more pros and cons for these two? Or how about more suggestions?

Thanks.

noodles2k5 said:
Alright, no USB for me. I didn't see anything impressive besides the Edirol UA-1000 USB 2.0, which is way out of my budget.

Echo Layla24 with the cardbus adapter costs too much. For that price, I could just get a Presonus Firepod.

The new Emu Cardbus doesn't support Mac. :(

Sticking to the Firewire idea, I like the looks of these:
Presonus Firestation
MOTU 828MK1 (I can't find any info on this model since the MKII is out)
Both of these are about $300-$400 used, which is perfect. They only have 2 pre-amps, which is acceptable by my standards. I hear software is a pain, but it should be a breeze for me. Any more pros and cons for these two? Or how about more suggestions?

Thanks.

Firestation had problems, I would recommend the newer Firepod(which is over your budget).
Too bad the Emu 1616 is not for Mac, but neither is the Creative zs notebook(you have listed).
I would therefore suggest the Echo Indigo. Great drivers, great company.

Last edited:
noodles2k5 said:
Looks like the Firewire Audiophile only has one input.
It doesn't. An spdif (digital stereo) and two analog and inputs.

But of the ones listed I'd pick the Indigo I/O.

i use the echo indigo : great sounding at 24/96 and had no problems with it what so ever. it comes with its own mixer and 8 virtual inputs that can be routed to different software. awesome soundcard.

Firewire Audiophile is 4-in / 6-out

noodles2k5 said:
Looks like the Firewire Audiophile only has one input. I'm thinking I should just save up and get the Firepod.

I've been looking at all the choices as well (maddening isn't it?). The M-Audio Firewire Audiophile is 4-in / 6-out as I understand. Here's a link:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FirewireAudiophile-main.html

The 1x input it mentions in the specs refers to MIDI, not audio.

Here's another link to most of the choices in your price range:
http://www.silentway.com/tips/equip/io.php

Also, I think the people having the most problems with USB are PC (Wintel) owners with AMD chipsets. So, especially if you only need 2 input channels and you don't need XLR (balanced mic) inputs, I think one of the less expensive options might work for you. Like the M-Audio Transit, which can be found at Florida Music (http://www.floridamusicco.com) for $68 right now. I've never bought anything from them - it's just the lowest price I found. I read a review where the transit was tested, and its performance was excellent (for the price). Here's a link to the Transit:
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main-1.html

Hope this helps. Good luck (and wish me luck - I'm one of the AMD people).

Dots...

I said "one input" because I've never used SPDIF before and I don't plan on it in the near future. And I'm not using Midi (yet). So I don't see the point in spending all that money in a Firewire Audiophile just to use the RCA inputs. I could just get an Indigo IO or the Transit and use it with my Behringer mixer. That would be the cheapest option. It's still not convenient though, cause I would have to lug the mixer around. But it would work.

Back