Laptop recording

close

Hello I have just bought a Dell Inspiron laptop. To my surprise it has only got a mono mic input, and no stereo line in inputs,
Is there any other way I can get a stereo signal in through any other ports like USB or even the video input.
Any advice will be welcome.

Yes, there are a number of USB and FireWire (if your laptop has firewire) options available. They range greatly in price and quality, but most will get the job done better than your built in laptop soundcard anyway. You could also go the PCMCIA route for laptops with card slots.

Look here for options and some reviews:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/cat--Audio-Interfaces--2418

I, personally, use the Tascam US-122 (USB). I like it, but some don't. FireWire is generally considered more stable, especially for >2-channels at once.

close said:
Hello I have just bought a Dell Inspiron laptop. To my surprise it has only got a mono mic input, and no stereo line in inputs,
Is there any other way I can get a stereo signal in through any other ports like USB or even the video input.
Any advice will be welcome.
M-Audio Firewire Solo
M-Audio Firewire 410
M-Audio Firewire 1814
Echo AudioFire8
Echo AudioFire12
MOTU 828 (new or old )
MOTU Traveler
MOTU 896HD
RME FireFace800]
RME Hammerfall DSP

I think M-Audio has a couple of USB soundcards too!

I use an Inspiron 5150, and it's been reliable with both my US122 and my Digigram VXPocket PCMCIA card. IMO the US122 is good, but the Digigram is really amazing in sound quality and flexibility.

Tim

Back