Laptop or PC?

speedtalk

To begin with I plan on using Sonar 5 and Kontakt 2. I will be doing a lot of recording using keyboards,sound modules, and virtual instruments. I also would like to be able to have the portability of a laptop to record grand piano, orchestral percussion, and some acoustic live performances. Mostly I would be recording one track at a time with the exception of the acoustic live performances when I would require multi tracks for mics and keyboard inputs. I also want to record MIDI.
I'm thinking I will need an external hard drive to store virtual instruments on expecially with the laptop. I will also get either a Firewire or USB audio interface.
If i get a laptop will I need to get another soundcard than what comes with it and what amount of RAM should I have. Also any recommendations as far as audio interfaces are concerned? I would like to keep the price of the PC/laptop and interface at around $1,000 combined. I am mostly concerned about getting a PC or laptop that will be powerful and fast enough to do the job relatively well for the price, and eventually later may get a better interface if needed? Any reccomendations?
Thanks.

For a laptop you'll need an external soundcard &/or interface with GOOD converters.
laptops aren't great for anything except portablilty - heat dissipation, upgrading etc are compromised by size & weight considerations.
I also subscribe to the inbuilt depreciation in terms of value and function for the things - three years & throw away essentially.

A lot more power and options in a desktop. If portability is important, there are a lot of laptops capable of recording.

If you are using a lot of virtual instruments you will want a lot of RAM. You will want a good deal more than what you actually need. With 2GB of RAM it should run pretty smooth...you could probably get by with less but make sure you have enough.

I would personally go with FireWire over USB if I had the option. For one or 2 tracks at a time going through the interface, USB 2.0 is probably plenty fast, but I would still feel better about using FireWire.

I would also get an external hard drive. Once you get the laptop, you will need to disable the on-board sound card because whatever external FireWire/USB interface you get will replace it.

I moved exclusively to a laptop two years ago. Haven't missed having a desktop at all.

My laptop runs Sonar, Cubase and various softsyths (Korg Legacy Collection, FM7/8 and Dimension Pro) with no issues to speak of. I have it connected to a Mackie Onyx 1220 via Firewire.

Nowadays, I would probably look at 2Gb of RAM minimum. Stick with a Core2Duo processor and avoid Vista.

Back