Laptop and Sonar 2.2 XL

groover_jon

Hi people,

I would like to use Sonar2.2 to play my sequences using my keyboard rig in a live situation and was wondering how powerful a laptop it would have to be to run midi? No audio stuff but just midi sequences. I'm on a tight budget so the cheaper the better would be good.
I think I would find this much easier than having to shuffle through floppies. Using the playlist facility, It would be quick and easy to find songs. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon.

As long as you don't need any softsynth-power, you can go pretty low...

I'm happy with my Pentium 100 laptop running PA9. :)

moskus said:
As long as you don't need any softsynth-power, you can go pretty low...

I'm happy with my Pentium 100 laptop running PA9. :)

Thats fine for PA9 but I would not go below the minimum requirements Cakewalk has for Sonar 2.2

brzilian said:
Thats fine for PA9 but I would not go below the minimum requirements Cakewalk has for Sonar 2.2

That's right :) Although you better try it first for sure, it could possibly causing linked problem. SONAR 2.2 requires WinXP (as recommended) and WinXP needs at least PII 300 Machine, with at least 64 RAM. If you have "not that powerfull" laptop, and only need it to play pre-made MIDI files, I'll go with older (simpler) sequencer, IMO. I use the legendary Cakewalk Pro 3 in my P150MMX, 16MB laptop to do so :) You can even Google for free MIDI sequencer :)

;)
Jaymz

I don't mean to talk you away from Sonar, but have you looked at Band in a Box? It might be what you are after and it will run on Windows 9X/ME/NT/2000/XP with 32Mb RAM recommended.... ie a low system overhead.

Here's the link

Porter

If you just want MIDI, then perphaps Sonar 2.2 would be overkill! Get a MIDI-only sequenser, it should be able to run on a 386. :)

But Band-In-A-Box sucks... ;)

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I've got the old pa9 software somewhere. I may use that instead or do what James said and look for just a basic sequencer.

Jon.

moskus said:
But Band-In-A-Box sucks... ;)

Never used the software myself, however I say a guy use an older version of it once as his back up for his guitar and vocals... seemed to work OK.

Porter

Porter said:
I say a guy use an older version of it once as his back up for his guitar and vocals... seemed to work OK.
Well, Band-In-A-Box is only a "autocomp" program. You can't do any "fancy" arranging yourself. You just enter the chords and the "band" plays along... ;)

moskus said:
Well, Band-In-A-Box is only a "autocomp" program. You can't do any "fancy" arranging yourself. You just enter the chords and the "band" plays along... ;)

He was using it more for the ... set up this list of MIDI files and play in order... the files included data for his Guitar Effects pedal so he didn't even have to switch between rhythm/lead etc.

Porter

Back