Kurzweil Rumour AD/DA converters are impressive

ozraves

I got one of these for a review thinking I'd be doing a review of a digital reverb unit.

However, the Kurzweil Rumour contains some impressive AD/DA converters. I should clarify and say I haven't used the AD yet but the DA seems to put across the high end without distortion and without the artificially meaty low mids due to aliasing artifacts. I haven't seen how this translates in mixes yet but so far I'm feeling the love. They are limited to 48 kHz and switchable to 44.1 kHz.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Last edited:
Hey steve,

in all your comparison projects, did you ever review or compare the RME ADI-8 Pro AE 8 channel A/D/A to anything? I'm still a bit unclear where the RME pieces fall as a point of comparison with (Apogee, Lucid, swissonic, etc.)

The only RME unit I've used is the RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface, which is a solid unit. It is stable and reliable. The sound quality is good. You do notice a little higher end distortion and a bit of artificial meat in the low mids that you get rid of with the Lucid and Kurzweil.

I think that particular RME unit you refer to might sound somewhat similar to the Multiface since I've read it contains the same converters. And, it shouldn't be confused with the other ADI-8 units which contain different converters.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Ive been eyeing the Rumour for sometime, and trying to weight the benefits to it over plugins. Will the review (which Im sure will be quite positive) be out soon or a couple months?

thanks Steve, I didnt realize the anniversary edition was less quality than the ADI-8 Pro's, interesting!

I'm at an all time high of confusion at the moment as I run a digi001 and its time for a converter upgrade..You see i have a GR ME-1NV and an RNP both get the heavy duties here at home and now i'm recording drums as well. with those mentioned pre's I also have less stellar selections in an ART pro MPA, DBX376, and Mackie 1202VLZ (for toms only) the remainder of my kit receives.

8 channels of A/D/A would be ideal as i could replace my undesirable pres as I continue to grow, but not sure if I would get better results (for the money) with a 2 channel A/D and seperate 2 ch. D/A (and use them for overdubs and drum overheads)

Lucid 9624 A/D and D/A for around $1400ish
RME ADI-8 Pro for around $1400ish
or now your Kurzweil option Rumour $500ish (even if I cant use the effects with my 001, just use the A/D/A???) especially if you feel the Kurweil is in the Lucid A/D/A leauge

it never seems to end...this madness!

Bobalou said:
thanks Steve, I didnt realize the anniversary edition was less quality than the ADI-8 Pro's, interesting!

I'm at an all time high of confusion at the moment as I run a digi001 and its time for a converter upgrade..You see i have a GR ME-1NV and an RNP both get the heavy duties here at home and now i'm recording drums as well. with those mentioned pre's I also have less stellar selections in an ART pro MPA, DBX376, and Mackie 1202VLZ (for toms only) the remainder of my kit receives.

8 channels of A/D/A would be ideal as i could replace my undesirable pres as I continue to grow, but not sure if I would get better results (for the money) with a 2 channel A/D and seperate 2 ch. D/A (and use them for overdubs and drum overheads)

Lucid 9624 A/D and D/A for around $1400ish
RME ADI-8 Pro for around $1400ish
or now your Kurzweil option Rumour $500ish (even if I cant use the effects with my 001, just use the A/D/A???) especially if you feel the Kurweil is in the Lucid A/D/A leauge

it never seems to end...this madness!

If you want more than 2 channels of AD or DA, the RME ADI-8 Pro is hard to beat, particularly for the price. A Digi001 tops out at 48k, just the the RME. The converters in the ADI-8 Pro are very nice, musicial and clear. No complaints from this user.

thanks you guys, do you all think that companies will start dealing on the ADI-Pro due to its 48k limitations in a new world of 96k and up?..

a local store will sell me a damaged (rack ear) ADI-8 Pro AE for $800.00 cash it has 96k capabilities, yet I found some reports that back up Steves claim that the AE isnt as good as the regular Pro version.

he also says he can sell me a Nuendo version of the ADI -8 pro for $900.00 cash 48k limit there (as I'm not sure I'll be moving up to the digi002 96k anyway....wonder what I can expect for prices on the 48k versions.

also do you think Lucids ADA 8824 (48k limit) will start being blown out since the new 96k firewire version is due out at NAMM?

thanks again fellas!

I've tried different bit depths and sample rates and I'm going to set it at 24 bit and 44.1 kHz for a while for my own stuff. The Kurzweil fits this decision.

On the pricing of the RME ADI-8 Pro (or the Nuendo version), I've noticed that the used price for the 96 kHz version seems to be around $1,000 to $1,200.

Bobalou said:
also do you think Lucids ADA 8824 (48k limit) will start being blown out since the new 96k firewire version is due out at NAMM?

thanks again fellas!

people who know better(those people not being me) have said the 8824 doesn't sound as good as the 2 channel counterparts and too my knowledge 8824 is only AD as well....

I'm locked in on 24 bit 44.1/48k for a while as well. I eventually plan to upgrade everything to 88.2/96k, but that will be the end of it. No current plans to ever go to 192 or 384. There's a great thread at rec.audio.pro about higher sample rates, very interesting. You can read it if you go to Google and search for "384k".

I heard from one of the designers today that the Rumour does not have the same exact converters as the Kurzweil KSP8. But, he says they did use a high quality converter in the Rumour and Mangler as quality conversion was one of the design goals. I'm very impressed with the imaging as well as the fidelity.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

Scinx said:
Ive been eyeing the Rumour for sometime, and trying to weight the benefits to it over plugins. Will the review (which Im sure will be quite positive) be out soon or a couple months?

I do remember Fletcher saying that a Rumor is everything that a Lexicon PCM91 wishes it could be. This is why I want to hear one.

Back