Kurzweil K2600S vs. Supernova II PRO X

The Greater God

Hello all, I need help deciding between two synths. My setup will consist of a CS6X and an ESI-2000 w/Turbo. I have been looking at the Kurzweil series for a good while now, and heard lots of good stuff about it but I heard the envolopes on it were not the best and that a VA (virtual analog) would be needed so I decided on the Super Nova II. Both boards are really cool and can blow you away, but I want to know which board should I get first ??
I wanna do really really lushy pads, strings esp strings, and organic (read orgasmic) sounds. I also want airy sounds and harps, along with angels and other cloudy sounds I can come up with. What would you do in my situation ? Whichever synth I don't get now, I will buy for myself for Chrismas
Ken

Well I cant say anything about the supernova as i have never touched one in my life but I can vouche for the Kurz.

I have used a k2500 for the past 5 years and it is the most flexible synth I have come across. The internel effect "KDFX" is one of the best I have heard, and the "VAST" system is so powerfull it will take years untill you get to realy know it.

One of the great things about Kurz is that they support the synth
with upgrades. Even 10 years later the k2000 is still being software upgraded. Tell me one other company that does that.
You buy a Korg and then they come out with a new synth and forget the older one exsists.

As to your sounds why not go to a shop and hear the instrument. The k2500 has plenty of those sounds.

Shailat said:
I have used a k2500 for the past 5 years and it is the most flexible synth I have come across. The internel effect "KDFX" is one of the best I have heard, and the "VAST" system is so powerfull it will take years untill you get to realy know it.
The K2500 doesn't come with the KDFX effects option, only the K2600 does (can upgrade it though, for a price). Otherwise I totally agree with you, Kurzweil's K2*k series stomps nearly every other single piece of equipment I've ever heard.

MrTangent said:

The K2500 doesn't come with the KDFX effects option, only the K2600 does (can upgrade it though, for a price). Otherwise I totally agree with you, Kurzweil's K2*k series stomps nearly every other single piece of equipment I've ever heard.

It depends when you bought it. If you have the early ones you have to buy the option but the later versions come with it built in.

hmmm.. i keep getting upgrades for my old novation synth too... anyway, you can't really compare the two units...
the supernova is the most insanely flexible V/A synth, and it takes years to learn full out too.. i've had my supernova I for two years and it's not very long time since i felt i had grasped the full potential of it...

the kurzweil is a rom synth / sequencer / sampler, and the supernova is a modular synth... if you want strange sounds and weird effects, eerie strings and lush pads, then i suggest the supernova... it's made for those things.. the effects section is also the biggest on the synth market, so you're not gonna be looking for new effect boxes anytime soon...
some of the most amazing about the SNII is the effects configurations.. you can route your effects and mix dry and wet to get the most amazing sounds you'll ever hear.. there are 29 different configurations and i'm telling you it's amazing what you can achieve... also remember that the SNII is a FM synth too and it's got loads of filters and modulation possibillities you won't find on any other synth.

if you wan't those eerie sounds, you best be looking at the supernova imo, but be prepared that it'll take a while to get inside the box, it's simply grand.

Kurzweil K2600s verses Supernova

I have had kurzweils since 1994, very in depth programming everything can modulate everything else - soundwise been able to come up with any sound including getting it to sound in an A - B against my Supernova test subjectively the same. The Supernova has a very warm sound, but can sound a bit thin without the effects. Not forgeting the the difference (S&S + additive/subractive plus triple mode on Kurz verses VA) the K2600S sounds strong without the FX running. Problem with Kurz is no knobs to twiddle, but the menus are very well thought out. Supernova FX I do like because they are very rough sounding especially the reverbs the ring like an old spring. All in all two very different synths, but for out and out versatility and fire power Kurzweil K2600 has it:)

SYNTHS AS AT 29/10/2008:

Roland W30 x3 (one with scsi kit)
Akai S3000XL - includes effects board/1g internal jazz drive
Roland JD800 inc drum wave/data card
Kawai K5000
Yamaha TX81Z
Yamaha EMT10
Kurzweil K2500(s) 76 note keys- maxxed x2
Kurzweil K2600RS Rack- maxxed
korg Z1 inc memory card
Korg MS2000R
korg Microkorg