KSM44 or AT4050 or ???

Mikey77

I'm thinking of getting a mid price multi pattern LDC mic that I can use on some vocals but also instruments such as piano, string bass, cello, and maybe brass.
In other words a versatile workhorse.

These two mics get a lot of praise, are there any others similarly price that are also worth checking out. SP, RODE, SE etc. that give equal or better bang for the buck???

P.S. I'm not going for a ribbon mic for several reasons.

Thanks Guys... This Karma mic seems very well priced for the praise you give it. I'll do a bit of googling.

kojdogg said:
+1 on the k-58-- particularly if you swap in a nicer tube. i also love my oktavamod pe mk-219 on pretty much everything, though it's not multipattern.

I guess to each his/her own. The K58 is my least favorite of the three tube LDCs I have, at least on my voice. I think I'd like the K58 on a baritone or bass vocalist, but for a tenor, I found it to be somewhat harsh even with a NOS GE tube. For my voice, I much prefered both the ADK Generis GT-2 and the CAD M9, both of which can be obtained for a lot less.

As with anything, the right mic depends on the source you're recording, so you really should find somebody who has one or a store that has one and try it out.

I can't imagine using an LDC for piano, and particularly not a tube LDC. IMHO, a pair of SDCs is just a lot better suited to the task. I find that a pair of MSH-1 mics---one at the top end, one near the bottom---gives a really nice sound on piano. That said, I use a Shure VP88 normally.

Brass, I would immediately reach for a ribbon, though an LDC would be okay as long as it isn't too bright. The K58 would be too bright from what I've heard, as would pretty much all the LDCs in my collection except the Generis... maybe the CAD, but even that might be a bit on the bright side.

The K58 would probably sound very good on cello and possibly bass. It sounds very similar to mics that I have used on cello, though I haven't tried that particular mic on cello. I think it would work particularly well if your strings have a bit of a dark character like my Pirastro Aricore strings.

Just my $0.02.

fair enough man and actually i agree. i recommended the karma based on my experience with recording vocals and acoustic guitar for this guy i record, who does have a deeper voice and for it being well w/in the price range, but then noticed (doh) that those were not intended uses of the op. :o
i would still contend that that oktavamod mk-219 would work well for those sources though.
my favorite mics right now besides the oktavamod are my little group of pimped out nadys, with the tcm-1050 with a peluso cek-12, cinemag 2480 transformer and some other capacitor mods and tweaks that philgood here did for me being the favorite. i have two others with similar mods but different capsules (peluso cek-3?7 and cek-89 respectively) which are also very good. these are more more versatile for sure and sound awesome (though very different). if you're willing to source parts and can find someone who can do this work for you (or better yet can do it yourself), these end up being great mics for the money!

I happen to own both the 4050 and KSM44. I've used them both for lead female vocal and like them both quite a bit. The 4050seems to be prone to a bit more sibalance. The KSM44 to my ears is smoother fatter sound. I'm doing my upcoming album with the KSM44, Onyx mic pre, and LA2A plug in.

The 4050 can be heard on my site. Hopefully the KSM44 will be up in a month or so.

The Shure KSM-44 is, in my opinion, one of the finest mics on the market, regardless of price. A professional piece of equipment from a quality company that makes professional tools.

Not a cheap, Chinese-made gimmicky vintage clone with a goofy name and poorly-designed web site.

I agree with Chessrock (I've been doing that quite a bit lately-it's almost scary). KSM44 is a very versatile mic. I also agree with the AKG C414 people. Having used both a fair amount, I prefer the C414 as an instrument mic, and the KSM44 as a vocal mic. Here I'm referring to models compareable in price, such as C414B-ULS. The newer models, C414B-XLS and C414-XLII are better than either of the above, IMHO, but they are a little more pricey.-Richie

Back