ksm 44 & akg 414

kindofblue

hey guys,

I've been renting a C 414 XLS for a month and I really like it. I recently returned it. I was thinking on going ahead an either buying a 414 B XLS or the KSM 44 (it's a bit cheaper) Although I haven't been able to test out the 44 with my own ears...would it stand up well to the 414 for most applications?

Any other condensors in the same price range worth looking at? I'm looking for a real workhorse mic.

dave.

Could you rent the KSM. The actual experience with the mic will most likely be better than anything we have to say. Thats not always true.

Ben

I own both and it seems to me that the 414 has more details in it, more brightness. I would go for the 414 but for the price, the KSM44 is a pretty good deal. :cool:

Both mics are pretty similar in quality in my opinion. I would not be upset with or regret purchasing either mic. In the end though, I would go for the AKG 414. I can't really explain why, but to me there just seems to be a little more "magic" in the 414. I think it may be that the AKG just seems to add a little more "depth" than the KSM44, but it is a pretty close call and either choice seems pretty solid to me:)

thanks guys,

i've pretty much decided on the 414. But what sucks now, is the only two new models are XL II and XLS...and I have no idea what the hell the difference between the both are...and if they'd really be major differences when applied? I know that the XL II is 100 $ more than the XLS. Any opinions?

the difference between the XLS and the XL II is a difference in the capsules to achieve the desired acoustical response for each version. The XL II has a slight increase in response above 3 kHz, which is said to be better for individual vocals and solo instruments miked at a distance, while the flatter XLS is better suited for instruments and group vocals.

Guido_sono said:
I own both and it seems to me that the 414 has more details in it, more brightness. I would go for the 414 but for the price, the KSM44 is a pretty good deal. :cool:

me 2 ! I have and like both however the akg gets it every-time !

Back