KRK: RP8 versus V4

solaris0031

alright so im looking at KRK monitors and the RP8 is the same exact price as the V4. half the speaker diameter, twice the price, and no obvious reasons why. Has anybody got any idea the differences between them besides obviously speaker size? is there some reason that you'd be way better off with one or the other?

The KRK RP series is built with cheaper components, using cheaper labor. That being said, if you are looking at either one of these as your first, or primary monitors, I would recommend the RP8's over the V4's. The V4's just aren't going to have the low end.

yeah these are going to be my first AND main monitors. :rolleyes: i'm getting them (hopefully soon) to replace my current monitoring situation: crapola harmon kardon computer speakers, cheap akg headphones, and burning cds to check in my dads bose car stereo. :eek:

RP8's

I really liked the RP8's at GC monitor listening sessions.
the GC salesguy didn't.
i just don't get the 4" at all...maybe with a sub, maybe computer
Fruity Loops music?
The RP8's I thought were awesome with "electric guitar tunes".

what kind of music you do seems to make some difference IMO.

have you listened to them? some good cash @ $~500 with tax.

my plan is to get a few at home and listen, depending on return policy.
BW DM303, RP8's, ST8's.....would like to try Yorks and Wharfs but
they are mailorder for me (gamble $$).

You might want to consider to go passive to have A/B ability too.
+passive speakers get a lot cheaper! you could buy two pairs!!

solaris0031,

What size is the room your going to be using these monitors in, and how well is it treated?

This will make a huge difference in which would be better for you. If you have a larger room and good treatment then the extra bass from the bigger speaker will be fine, but in a smaller space with little to no bass traps, the v4s will be much better.

Also don't let their size decieve you. They put out some very accurate bass information, it just doesn't "blow you away".

I was using berhinger truths b2301's before getting the v4s (both soffet mounted), and I can tell you that the little v4s are far more accurate in the bass department than the over 8" woofer in the truths.

They are very "picky" in the mid range which makes you work a little harder to get the sound right, but also makes them translate very well.

hope some of this helps

good point. so if cash is a washout it's personal choice.
sounds like your at $500 range. and RP8 or V4 is your decision.

i mainly do electric guitar sht, and the RP8's sounded great to
me at GC and others said they won some RnRoll award.
I cranked the RP8's way-up at gc and they kicked ass and seemed
easy on my ears. the V4's, well I won't say. maybe it was just me.

cont..

standard drywall bedroom. ~10x10x8 or some sht.

i did some Ethan Winter 703 Corner traps front wall, both.
then on front wall also three Mid type traps...could hear
difference but never finished the ceiling/clouds yet or other walls
and one window. it was fun and itchy.
it was better.

so i lean towards the 6.5". i just can't sell myself the 4" concept.

thats another thing, i want front ports or no ports because i tend
to have the speakers up ~1.5ft from the wall.

i just picked up a TAscam Studio Amp, 1996. First used ebay buy,
turned out the guy was 15min away and so i felt better. it went ok.
the amp was not in the plans at all, actually i was telling myself NO AMP..
get modern and go Active....but i bought the amp, so i could continue to
use my Adcom PRe (patchbay) with cool MONO button...and A/B.

but the RP8's just caught my ear and gave me that buzz...totally personal
taste.

but i hear ya on the comment ...hopefully soon! me too, soon.

I have a pair of the RP8's and I work them well.

What I mean by this is that to my ears anyway, they are NOT the best sounding monitors out there, not even in their pricerange. However, the things are great to mix with! My mixes translate really well across home systems, car stereos, and whatever else you play them on without having to tweak them too many times. For me, they are a bit fatiguing to mix for a long time with, so I just take breaks every once in a while when I feel the need. I did not buy these monitors to sound nice, but to mix with, so I'm a very happy camper. For the price, they are a great deal.

-mr moon

these will be used in a couple different rooms:

a not specifically treated, but good sounding 25 by 30 room,

a drywall-and-carpet-floor 10 by 20 foot room

possibly my bedroom on occasion (15 by 20, drywall and thick carpet floor)

i dont want to have to upgrade these anytime soon, and i'd rather not have to buy a sub either, and im willing to sacrifice bass level for bass accuracy, although whatever i need to be tight and controlled is what i want, so does that mean i want level too?

mobile+KRK+$500

I was just at barefoots thread and another forum.

6.5" is recommended by Sayers and many others for nearfields,
small rooms ~homerecording types.
nearfields to "take" some of the
sloppy acoustical room-out of the equation, my understanding.

getting into the 8" and or subs...seems you'd need a large room,
mid farfield?

your going mobile....so actives would be ergonomically correct,
unless you'll have amps in each room or plan to tote the amp around too?

one pair will be used for tracking, mixing, and ~mastering????

Wharfedale 8.2A's at $275+30shipped would be hard to beat.

Mr. Moon said:
I have a pair of the RP8's and I work them well.

What I mean by this is that to my ears anyway, they are NOT the best sounding monitors out there, not even in their pricerange. However, the things are great to mix with! My mixes translate really well across home systems, car stereos, and whatever else you play them on without having to tweak them too many times. For me, they are a bit fatiguing to mix for a long time with, so I just take breaks every once in a while when I feel the need. I did not buy these monitors to sound nice, but to mix with, so I'm a very happy camper. For the price, they are a great deal.

-mr moon

I guess I should clarify what I meant by the RP8's not being the "best sounding" monitors out there. I meant "pretty sounding" or "home stereo speaker-like" sounding. The RP8's are very accurate and are great for mixing. They are a bit light in the low-end, but once you work with them for a while you can dial in really good mixes with them. But, in a side-by-side with HR824's and such, I found they had much less hype in the highs and lows than most monitors in the same approximate price range.

-mr moon

RP8's test drive

I'm trying out some RP8's this weekend.
Can't really do the V8's or Mackies $$$.
The V8's seemed to have a bit more mids i like slightly better,
the Mackies sounded nice and Ethan Winter was saying good electronics and sci-fi sht. but sounded "prettier" to me as you said.
Appear well built and really liked the Mackies "non-ported",
no walls to worry about and some say the trapped air acts like a spring to the back of the speaker offering better/ tighter bass (less boomy i assume).
Makes sense...but I can always put a sock in the ports.

Decided not to do the HiFi BW303's, as I have some Paradigm 3se's
which sound really good and are of same approach, and per articles
are some damn good speakers I've had laying around for 8yrs!!

Comparison:
Tascam amp(NIB 1996) and unknown Ram monitors (6.5" adn 1").
KRK RP8's

GC had a demo pair RP8's the guy let me have for $175 ea. No box but warranty still applies. I couldn't resist at least trying them. :)

Back